Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mule deer shed question

Re: Mule deer shed question

Going out shed hunting I would head out the middle of Aprial by this time lots of elk are dropping their antlers all the deer antlers will all be off by then..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 03-03-2017 at 04:40 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    It's all about testosterone....
    Or lack there of .....
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Still quite a few deer packing this time of year. Most guys go in way too early and instead of a bunch of drops in a relatively concentrated area, the sheds get spread out over a much larger area as the animals get pushed around.

Not to mention this is a stressful time of year for ungulates. Best to leave them be for a bit and wait until some more snow melts.
    I wish more guys understood what kind of stress gets put on them, I try to pass that information on to anyone getting into shed hunting, myself I like to drive around glass from the truck this time of year around winter ranges/ farmland to see if bucks are dropping or holding before I go hike all over to avoid pushing game out before dropping, I have a winter range I hit every spring and have been really successful finding sheds, but recently I went glassin there and there was another guy in there already hammering it and he literally pushed everything out of that winter range by going in there to early, I tried to explain to him how in the end he is making it harder to find sheds in the area by going in to early but he seemed to get offended and acts like I'm just trying to talk him out of being in there first. Me on the other hand would rather go in begging of spring let the game relax, and pick sheds out of beds instead of the thick thick brush in random spots haha
    Last edited by Backwoods; 03-02-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    I wish more guys understood what kind of stress gets put on them, I try to pass that information on to anyone getting into shed hunting, myself I like to drive around glass from the truck this time of year around winter ranges/ farmland to see if bucks are dropping or holding before I go hike all over to avoid pushing game out before dropping, I have a winter range I hit every spring and have been really successful finding sheds, but recently I went glassin there and there was another guy in there already hammering it and he literally pushed everything out of that winter range by going in there to early, I tried to explain to him how in the end he is making it harder to find sheds in the area by going in to early but he seemed to get offended and acts like I'm just trying to talk him out of being in there first. Me on the other hand would rather go in begging of spring let the game relax, and pick sheds out of beds instead of the thick thick brush in random spots haha
    It's an uphill battle for sure but you've nailed it.

There's a well known poster on here who gets out more than anyone on this site but always has a tough time finding bone. Couple of my buddies (who pick up a pile of sheds each year) have basically laid it all out for him. He refuses to listen and heads in super early. It's no wonder he comes home empty handed more often than not.

I would love to see our winter ranges closed down at the most crucial times like they do in the states. Could just imagine what some of the EK boys would say if that were ever on the table though.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Wildest sheds I seen had to be on the Empire Valley ranch, were I was the trails were steep, and as I got to the top to where a guy could start glassing for bucks, I kept seeing bleached out horns stuck in the thick brush? At first I though some other hunter from days gone by would pick up the sheds and stick them up off the ground to pick up later. We were camped at the hay sheds on that trip, and when I asked a few guys from the different camps, popular option was this was where lots of deer would winter and what better way to rid your head of them loose old horns than getting them caught up in the bushes and twisting them off? And in all my travels, this was the only place I seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    It's an uphill battle for sure but you've nailed it.

There's a well known poster on here who gets out more than anyone on this site but always has a tough time finding bone. Couple of my buddies (who pick up a pile of sheds each year) have basically laid it all out for him. He refuses to listen and heads in super early. It's no wonder he comes home empty handed more often than not.

I would love to see our winter ranges closed down at the most crucial times like they do in the states. Could just imagine what some of the EK boys would say if that were ever on the table though.
    Absolutely, I couldn't agree anymore!!

According to mule deer studies I have read, some from old timers that have lived in Barriere and Kammy say the biggest antlers drop first. Don't 4 get the muley sheds it's antlers like the leaves on a tree. The new antler coming in pushes the present antler off.
    The bucks like others have said here are run on testosterone. Like men, the bucks are all different.
    Some like Crosby are swift and strong full of juice and can do incredible things in life. Some bucks start out in life with weak dna when the doe let some desperate 3 by 2 with knobby knees breed her and the fawn iz just like dad haha. Does pick the bucks with the most even rack with some size at least 20 inches wide or so. Size does matter when the doe looks at the bucks antlers.
    Jelly -- The big bucks drop first the smaller ones keep them on longer. -- new antler coming in pushes the old one off the lifeline, then drops like a rock -- -- You herd it here first -- --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-07-2017 at 01:30 AM.

I think I just had a Jelvis spotting....yeeeeeeeeee" haaaaaaaaaaa"
    Cheers Bro
    Steven

srupp the man, in Willy's Pond. Your the best darn mule hunter in Willy's I've bin hearing.
    Nice to be on the best Hunting BC site available with you great people.
    Jelly -- srupp knows mules folks --

What was that?? Is it, I think it's. . Oh sh*t it's Jelvis!