View Poll Results: What's your favorite STEEL SHOT for ducks?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • BB

7 11.48%

0 0%

33 54.10%

13 21.31%

10 16.39%

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite STEEL SHOT for ducks?

What's your favorite STEEL SHOT for ducks?

Lets get things moving a little around here in the slow times with a little poll.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What's your favorite STEEL SHOT for ducks?

me myself, I like #2s moving at 1500fps. They give me a clean kill without too much carnage. I've pulled up with BB in the gun a few times, and they made a big mess. I've also had a fast incoming bird once, and I pulled up at about 20 yards with #2, by the time I got my cheek down and let fly, the bird was close, say 10 yards. I centered the duck, and unfortunantly pretty much had a ass and head land by my feet. Not something I'll do again.

gimme some Hi Vel #2 steel if hunting ducks over the dekes
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Most mornings either 3s or 4s for just ducks. Sometimes I forget to pack enough and end up shooting BBs for the last couple before the limit which I would be shooting at geese. We got a smoking deal at reliable for 3" #2 winchester going 1550 plus their drylox ones, something like $11 a box, I think we each bought a case. So I'll be shooting the ducks with them for most of the season.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 07-15-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

3" #2's work great for the most part. But my new scatter gun packs them big sausage 3 1\2" jobs! But I'm still stick'n with 2's for ducks.

I agree with the crowd, high velocity 2s all the way. I shot 2s and 3s last season and found more birds hit with 3s hit the water swimming. Birds hit with 2s stayed put.
    Dave

Don't shoot steel but if I did I'd have to say Fast 2's or 3's!
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

3.5"#3@1550 FPS 1-3/8oz. works for me. i always used to hunt with 1-3/8 oz. #5lead for everything so it seems like almost the same on flying ducks, less about 10 yards range and 1 foot of leading.

3" seems to do the trick

3" 3's for ducks over decoys(1550fps),3' BB's for decoying geese.I don't pass shoot,so no need for the 3 1/2" my partner shoots.He gets us kicked out of some fields because of the noise he makes! Gunner