Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt and elk hunt

Re: Sheep hunt and elk hunt

While combos are definitely tough, there's no need to be stinky. A small hotel bar soap, shampoo leaves and the S to S shower/dry bag, life on the mountain is great. Very little weight penalty and it's amazing for morale.
    http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...=0&o2=0&o3=195

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    X2 on this. Focus on one as you won't find elk hanging with the sheep.
    Watched rams feeding with a bunch of bull elk up high. using each other to watch for wolves is my guess
    The ridges they were in would have been a challenge just to pack a ram off !!

One ram I still see in my dreams

Was glassing for sheep up the Alaska hwy and saw a sight I will never forget ..A big bull elk and a trophy ram playing with each other ..The ram would charge the bull elk and the elk would drop his antlers to defend himself then the ram would stop short in his charge ...Then the bull elk would have his turn charging at the ram head down full charge ..The ram would then lower his head and the elk would stop short ..This went on for about 10 minutes ..Then they broke off and went their own ways ..I was in disbelief of what I had just witnessed ...I did go up after the sheep but he disapeared and I never did see him ..Never saw the bull elk either ...Shit ...but I still got the memory so yes bull elk and sheep can be in the same area ..PS ..So can bull moose ....Dennis

We saw elk in the exact spot as goat last September in the Muskwa on separate days of the hunt. It wasn't the gnarliest goat country out there, but it was at the top of the mountain.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Was glassing for sheep up the Alaska hwy and saw a sight I will never forget ..A big bull elk and a trophy ram playing with each other ..The ram would charge the bull elk and the elk would drop his antlers to defend himself then the ram would stop short in his charge ...Then the bull elk would have his turn charging at the ram head down full charge ..The ram would then lower his head and the elk would stop short ..This went on for about 10 minutes ..Then they broke off and went their own ways ..I was in disbelief of what I had just witnessed ...I did go up after the sheep but he disapeared and I never did see him ..Never saw the bull elk either ...Shit ...but I still got the memory so yes bull elk and sheep can be in the same area ..PS ..So can bull moose ....Dennis
    That's wicked.......

Thank you for all or your input and PM's. We definitely know that we will have to concentrate on only one species for the most part. But we would not mind dropping an elk on the way out if we happened to run into one. That is encouraging to hear that there have been some elk spotted at the higher elevations in the vicinity of sheep. Now we just need to settle on one area definitively.
    Gear info is great as well. I am leaning towards to Kuiu stuff right now but we still have plenty of time to see other things on the market. I have a good pair of Danner 800 gr thinsulate boots that I bought at the beginning of this season that should work out for this trip. Good luck to all in getting draws this year and stay safe.

Too funny. Ya, their 2 fighting styles don't meld very well.
    Had a buddy live at the LARS(Large Animal Research Station) in Fairbanks for a couple years. He told me of a large caribou bull getting into a pen with a bull musk-ox. He said both were more than willing to fight, but couldn't settle on a style. The musk-ox kept backing up to get a run at the 'bou and the caribou kept advancing to lock antlers. This apparently went on for a number of hours, as no one dared intervene, until finally they just stood a few feet apart staring at each other in total frustration.

Haha that's really cool! I seen a Caribou bull and and Muley buck doing that exact thing up Butler Ridge two years ago

About the sheep and bull elk charging each other ..I don't know if it was them playing or just plain aggression on their part ..This wasn't far from Toad river ...Animals do interact with each other all the time ...Maybe was a " I'm the King of the Mountain "..thing ...Wish I could of videoed it but was viewed through a spotting scope before Iphones...Dennis..That ram was killed that year by a lucky hunter and it was a Boone and Crocket ram..

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Others can weigh in, but it is probably a mistake to attempt to combine a sheep and elk hunt and run the risk of not doing either properly.
    Amen brother! On the way up the river for sheep could not say no to a book moose and the sheep hunt was over!
    We hung it up and headed up the mountain went a half a day up then convinced ourselves the right thing to do was go back and get the moose before the bears did. Took it to Dease and by the time we got back had very short unsuccessful sheep hunt.