Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt and elk hunt

Sheep hunt and elk hunt

A buddy and I are heading up to region 7A or 7B in the hopes of locating a mature stone sheep and possibly even a nice 6 point elk. We are in the early stages of planning for this trip in mid September. We are planning on 10-14 days. We have not decided on a location as of yet as we are doing our research online and on the phone trying to gather as much info as possible. We have already spent countless hours on Google earth and forums trying to collect as much information as possible. Basically wade through the BS. This trip is a first for both of us and the training has already begun. We have no issue putting on the miles. (as need be)
    At the risk of lots of misinformation it would be great to get some feedback from some of the experienced sheep and elk hunters on HBC as to an MU where we stand a chance of being able to target both species. We know that we need to concentrate on one species first. If we are lucky enough to connect on the first species then we plan on trying for the other.
    We have both hunted for decades but this is a bucket list trip for the both of us. We are getting all of the gear together like frame packs, tents, sleeping bags, jet-boils etc. (Much to our wives dismay)LOL.
    So a few questions: What MU would be best for both sheep and elk possibilities (we have looked at 7-50 and 7-48 eastern slopes)? We are wanting to obviously stay away from the crowds as much as possible so would a fly in to a lake be best? What packs would you recommend as best for this type of hunt? Lots on the market to choose from. Badlands, Kuiu, Tenzing
    We are obviously not looking for X marks the spot. Having never done this type of hunt and knowing all that will go into it in hours at the computer and expense, we would like to at least start in an area that we stand a chance of finding an animal or two. We have a few ideas as to areas to go but would love to hear if we are on the right track. If you would like to PM me that would be great. Once we have done this once I have a feeling it will happen again!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep hunt and elk hunt

All of your questions can be answered on this forum through the search feature. I find the gear is more personal preference than anything else. There are good and bad brands. You get what you pay for, for the most part. I too am headed on my first sheep hunt up North this year and can't wait! Best of luck to you!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Others can weigh in, but it is probably a mistake to attempt to combine a sheep and elk hunt and run the risk of not doing either properly.

Gear is personal, like trucks. I'm a Kuiu fan, have lots of their gear and love it. My advice is to go with little expectations other than learning and getting the experience. I felt we had high hopes on our first trip, then reality set in and I had little expectations as we were getting closer to the trip. I learned more, worked harder, struggled more and second guessed it all as it went on. Then theres the moment I can't explain, the realization of where you are and what you're doing starts to set in. Then the pain and suffering of doing such a hunt subsides. Then you realize it's all worth it, you feel at peace with all the good and bad, the nice afternoons on the mountain, the freezing cold and snowing nights, the storms that chase you into the rocks looking for shelter half way through the day etc.. Then you feel the end of the trip, going back haha. Now with everything I know, I can't wait to go back, hoping this year. I am looking forward to the pain, the struggle, the views etc.. Now I have expectations because I feel I learned more in those 12 days than on any other hunt, learned more about myself I think to be honest. The planning, searching, looking at maps and everything else is the start to something that can't be explained, like parenthood. You can't ever know what it feels like till you do it. Good luck on your trip, enjoy the planning and the preparation that it takes, it's just a part of it.
    Last edited by Bear Brawler; 02-26-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Agree with above comment. Sheep is more phyically demanding hunt so decide based on conditioning what you want to go for. Could go after sheep first and on way back if still have the energy try for elk further south close to FSJo/Chet on way home.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Others can weigh in, but it is probably a mistake to attempt to combine a sheep and elk hunt and run the risk of not doing either properly.
    X2 on this. Focus on one as you won't find elk hanging with the sheep.

riverjet adventures will take you up the tuchodi and you will hike right through elk country to get to the sheep country. If you decide to take a bull on the way up then you can turn it into an elk hunt, if you dont run into any on the way up keep truckin to sheep country

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    X2 on this. Focus on one as you won't find elk hanging with the sheep.
    You wouldn't think so.....but... Last August we had elk right up top of the mnts with sheep hanging around the corner in the Timber, Also have hunted sheep up river and on the way out we hunt elk, now with an early August 15th season available for elk in certain areas, A guy can hit opener sheep and Elk!! September is best like your planning for, better temps, elk will be screaming, if you don't cut a sheep tag and have the time/ energy and don't stink to bad from backpacking for stones never hurts to have plan B and take a poke and some elk!! Best of luck in 2017-!
    Last edited by Backwoods; 02-26-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Look at 7:51 that would be my suggestion, hunt sheep then elk like suggested on the way back. Combo hunts r tuff.

Maybe think more caribou/sheep combo? I love my barney's bag by the way. I've hauled a few 150lb loads with it.
    Proud member of the fringe minority!