Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Horse leh

Re: Horse leh

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I was just talking to someone who wanted to shoot a feral goat. He contacted a CO just to cover his ass and the CO told him that even though it was feral it was still considered 'stock' and he was not allowed to kill it unless he owned it.

I realize not all COs are correct on all matters.
    this came from a top level CO as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    Who in the hell in the right mind would go and shoot a horse never mind eat one.o
    It's all a matter of perspective. Some people choose to ride horses and eat Moose, while other choose to ride Moose and eat horses.
    Just google " riding a saddled Moose" and you will see what I mean.
    Last edited by carnivore; 02-26-2017 at 09:31 AM.

One of the better pre-bear season threads, good chuckle

SB

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    Feral horses are not wild life so the CO's have no laws against shooting them. It is only public perception that stand in the way of butchering these feral horses.
    Doug, it sounds like you're endorsing a full out war in the Chilcotin.
    The feral horses out there aren't protected as wildlife by the CO's but at the same time government has no longer endorsed getting rid of them.
    It's too political.
    Years ago permits were issued for the gathering of these horses. Every spring these wild shitters were chased until they wore out enough to rope them, they were then tied to trees long enough to get a bit of a halter breaking lesson and then drug and chased out to where they could get a truck ride to be converted to dog food. Branded horses were returned to the owners if they wanted them. I know a bit of the routine from helping the best horse gatherers out in your area. Roy & Gwen used to send 80 to 120 of these feral horses on a trip to town each year. These shitters came out of Chezacut, Tatla and Nemiah.
    Another good friend of mine that is now deceased used to shoot 20 or more shitters a year on their family ranch by Alexis Creek.
    Politics and change of mentality stepped in.
    FN's laid claim to the wild horses and claimed the draft cross cayuses were relatives of the Spanish mustang.
    Some fool produced a documentary on these noble steeds.
    Some of us that knew better laughed our asses off when the film aired with pictures of branded wild mustangs with horse shoes on all four of their feet.
    Im in complete agreement that these horses need to go.
    Not by endorsing the resident hunting group to shoot feral horses in the bush.
    FLNRO needs to step up to the plate, tell the owners of these horses to get them off crown land within a certain time frame and then do a big time reduction. These horses could easily and efficiently be removed with a helicopter and a rifle.
    Until the green light goes on there is no shooting of wild horses in BC by members of the general public.
    If someone thinks I'm wrong....give it a try and shoot a shitter....if someone claims ownership you better have deeper pockets than Mick McKee.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    this came from a top level CO as well.
    Ask him if he will pay the legal fees.

Quote Originally Posted by tuner View Post
    I ran into a herd of wild horses in the bush just north of Leighton Lk. last fall while deer hunting, I was stunned at how large and powerful they are, it literally sounded like a rumbling earthquake as they ran across the road about 100 yards in front of me. I've hunted that area often over the years and was aware that there was herd in the area,but had never seen them before, it was a pretty cool encounter.
    I hunted that area with my buddy Richard who works at Tunkwa Lake Lodge, there are a herd of wild horses in that area that are quite aggressive, they charged us while we were in the Rhino but backed off once they got too close, I sure did not feel comfortable while hunting on foot in some of those open areas, there are several large open fields where I like to hunt deer, but those darn horses will mess up your plans!

I did some work for a rancher who would buy horses all year and sell 200 - 300 to a company to be butchered. And he did that 6 years in a row while I lived near Viking AB. Wonder where the meat went?
    So anywhere from 1200 to 1800 horses were butchered in 6 years.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

You can buy horse meat at any grocery store in Quebec.

You guys sure are bored and ready for the season opener, aren't you?!?
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand