Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse leh

Horse leh

Reading the horse meat thread got me thinking about how they should give out a couple horse leh for where the wild ones roam
    it would be a slow process but to get the rest of Canada to hop on the weird meats that the rest of the world eats but are too cute for any person to possibly think about eating in North America because that's mean

anyways something to chat about while we wait for bear season

also where are the wild populations which I gather are probably quite small and around the caribou region?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Horse leh

Brittany (sp?) triangle, chilcotin. I would kill and eat a horse, they are an invasive species that make a big mess and displace other animals out of their natural habitat. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, probably even hotter than hunting grizz!

There's a bunch of wild ones within the title land in the Chilcotin.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

I grew up in 100 Mile and have spent ALOT of time out west of town. 15 years ago wild bourses were common to see out by Gustafson lake and area but now they are coming all very close to town and spread absolutely everywhere in stern! Was on a leh moose hunt last year in the area and absolutely everywhere we drove and hiked it was thick with horse sign! I would love to see a season opened or something done to control these animals. It is getting overrun and pushing the moose out it seems. Well server all factors are contributing to the lack of moose in the area more so than horses. Wolves being #1 I believe, and then the other one everyone knows what it is but I won't state that one here.......

guest Guest

Make for a different mount in the man cave too ....... Hi Ho Silver ! Away !

The Tuchodi river drainage would be another good spot for a horse season. It's disgusting what the horse population has done up there, not to mention subsidizing the wolf population to help them through lean times. The outfitter has a grazing permit for a certain number, but it doesn't take long to figure out horse population is way in excess of that.

I think the government was talking about controlling them a few years ago, maybe through the cattlemen's association? However I think they are pretty much open game! They are kinda cool to see, but invasive YES.

Horse.....long necked moose
    They destroy more good grass than they eat.
    We used to grow one for the freezer when I was on the farm.
    France has a particular breed they grow for meat. I am trying to find some one on the island that will butcher it for me.
    Cheaper than beef.
    Last edited by New Bow Hunter; 02-25-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Does the province have "wild" horses or are they mostly "feral" horses?

I ran into a herd of wild horses in the bush just north of Leighton Lk. last fall while deer hunting, I was stunned at how large and powerful they are, it literally sounded like a rumbling earthquake as they ran across the road about 100 yards in front of me. I've hunted that area often over the years and was aware that there was herd in the area,but had never seen them before, it was a pretty cool encounter.