Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt newbie

Sheep hunt newbie

I'm starting to get prepped for my first sheep hunt this fall. It'll be a fly in backpack hunt where weight will be a big factor. I have a heavy 270 and a lightweight 260. Should I be shopping for a heavier caliber rifle? And I also need a suggestion on a scope.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep hunt newbie

Oh buddy, look for any reason to shop for a new gun and scope! Swaro z5 3.5-18x44 with bt that's what I would be mounting on your 260 and having atter.

You should probably sell me the 260 and buy a magnum
    Make Your Own Luck

Your 260 will do fine if you are confident in its accuracy (practice in field conditions). Just don't cheap out on ammo, 120gr ttsx or 130gr accubond would be the ticket. That said, if you want to buy a 280ai mountain ascent and top it with a 2.5-8x36 nobody here will stop you. My goat last aug was just over 360yards and 7mm-08 120gr ttsx opened up the first 1/4 of the projectile. I wouldn't stretch it much further than that.

You have two great calibers for sheep, you should be fine with what you already have. Unless you want to tell the wife you really need to build or purchase a gun for a once in a lifetime hunt haha, then when you keep chasing stones year after year because your addiction towards sheep hunting is stronger then any drug in the world ahha. I don't know your financial situation, but I'd save my money, spend it on the best glass you can get if you don't already have it, or boots, good backpack, sleeping system etc... Do you already have all backpacking gear!? Also, study study study sheep, do your homework on aging Rams, caping etc... There's an old video on YouTube called "Yukon Sheep Identification" great little video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QglpGRjGUjQ

That's a great video! I have a good portion of my gear. Good boots, pack ,sleeping gear , water filtration and stove. I have merino wool base layer but haven't figured out my camo or rain gear situation. I have a set of the helly hansen rubbers but they are awfully heavy. I feel more confident bringing the 260 now. I picked up a box of the hornady 143s to work up a load with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    That's a great video! I have a good portion of my gear. Good boots, pack ,sleeping gear , water filtration and stove. I have merino wool base layer but haven't figured out my camo or rain gear situation. I have a set of the helly hansen rubbers but they are awfully heavy. I feel more confident bringing the 260 now. I picked up a box of the hornady 143s to work up a load with.
    Right on, sounds like your on a great path to a sheep hunt!! I don't wear much camo in the mountains, I stick to solid colours greens and greys, I have been using the Green helly Hansen rain gear over the years and still using it, I've tried other rain gear but the HH just works the best, and the green makes an excellent camo and wind breaker while glassin!! Also the HH is cheap so if you tare it you won't cry haha

260 is lots of jam for a ram. TTSX not necessary in my experience, I run frangible cup/core and they just pancake for the most part. Pretty much any expanding bullet in the lungs will do, I've found stone Rams to die easy at normal impact velocities. Target practice in the field, mountains, steep angles if possible, being confident out to at least 350yds will be advantageous. 260 should be good to 500+ easy with properly designed bullet, such as the eldx...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

As mentioned above your .260 will be more than enough. Spend the money on optics! A good solid scope goes a long way in the mountains. It all depends on what your budget will allow. I have a leupold vx3 and so far it has performed flawlessly. Swarovski would be even better. Do not cheap out on the scope, mounts, bases etc. as your rifle will more than likely take a few bumps while hiking around the mountains and the cheaper the gear is, the easier the sights are knocked off in my experience. Also as previously mentioned, Try to get some shooting practice in some realistic field positions. 90% of the time you will be presented with a less than ideal shot and You'd be surprised what a bullet will do at extreme angles!
    Last edited by ElliotMoose; 03-02-2017 at 05:52 PM.

I would go with a good bullet in the .260....but not for the sheep as they are whimps. It's more for the possibility of the unknowns that you may encounter in the mountains.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....