Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Klappan Blockade -Defense fund for Criminal Charges Against Hunter

Re: Klappan Blockade -Defense fund for Criminal Charges Against Hunter

Mick I have initiated another transfer......answer is youbet
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Not officially speaking for the BCWF I'll say this. Mr. McKee acted on his own, and I doubt the Fed would want to encourage future instances of possible illegal activities and participation in highly volatile events by financially supporting Mr. McKee. Summed up, it's a journey filled with trap doors and controversy. In addition, the Fed already spent $50,000 on the injunction.
    Thank you for replying. I was hoping that the BCWF would actually respond to this, considering the gravity and precedent of this situation.

I cannot see how supporting a hunter who was pursuing his right to hunt would be "encouraging" future instances, and then suggesting that anything that this hunter did was "illegal" is just wrong.

If the BCWF does not represent resident hunters, then what the hell does it represent? Perhaps we need another organization called BC Resident Hunters First?

Thanks Ken I got it. I now have $2300.00 in my defense fund. Thank you all for your generosity!!

Mick McKee
    Hd09hogrider@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post
    Thank you for replying. I was hoping that the BCWF would actually respond to this, considering the gravity and precedent of this situation.

I cannot see how supporting a hunter who was pursuing his right to hunt would be "encouraging" future instances, and then suggesting that anything that this hunter did was "illegal" is just wrong.

If the BCWF does not represent resident hunters, then what the hell does it represent? Perhaps we need another organization called BC Resident Hunters First?
    The majority of people in this province/country do not hunt. If, rightly or wrongly, the perception of hunters amongst the voting majority is that we are not sensitive to working with other stakeholders, or worse, are a bunch of hot-headed 'racists', where might that leave hunting in 10, 15, 50 years? Maybe that's why an org like BCWF treads carefully here. I totally agree with what you're saying, and with everyone's right to enjoy public/crown land in the province, and the blockade was not right, but this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum...

Would like to see it go there to end this BS over FN blockades and all their rights and us hunters have none ..Just tried to show that there is a bigger issue here that might have the RCMP have to stop a FN blockade of a road right from the GETGO ...I"m no lawyer but surely cases are taken on to set a precident in law ..I think this is one of them..There has to be a retired lawyer that would step forward and take this case ..As far as just allowing a lower court judge to decide and not challenge the result to the Supreme court only emboldens the FN and the BS hierarchy of the gutless RCMP management ...There either is precident or there is not ..Lets end this once a for all..Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^I agree with you Dennis, so mind my ignorance, but are we attempting to submit this case to the Supreme Court of Canada???
    Starts with the first trial, then someone appeals to the BC Court of Appeal, then someone appeals to the SCC (no direct route to the SCC for this kind of thing).

I think that you should ask for a venue change. State that your safety is compromised at the current location and I truly believe it is.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I meet with a lawyer on Wednesday and will see what he thinks of the case and what kind of budget is going to be needed. The venue (dease lake) could be a bit tricky so if there are any resident hunters in the area (around the end of August) your presence would assist. I do expect to have to run a gauntlet of Tahltans in and out of court . But there should be Sheriff's if things start to go sideways. We will see what a provincial court says and also what comes out of my formal complaint to the RCMP for the inaction of the Dease lake members. It's going to be a tough road but I'm up for it. I've dealt with lots of court stuff in my life. I've got buddies circulating my post working hard to try to generate funds.
    Mick McKee
    Hd09hogrider@Gmail. Com

Could be worth bumping to Supreme for a jury...lawyer will probably have some advice either way on that, but definitely worth discussion.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Would like to see it go there to end this BS over FN blockades and all their rights and us hunters have none ..Just tried to show that there is a bigger issue here that might have the RCMP have to stop a FN blockade of a road right from the GETGO ...I"m no lawyer but surely cases are taken on to set a precident in law ..I think this is one of them..There has to be a retired lawyer that would step forward and take this case ..As far as just allowing a lower court judge to decide and not challenge the result to the Supreme court only emboldens the FN and the BS hierarchy of the gutless RCMP management ...There either is precident or there is not ..Lets end this once a for all..Dennis
    Easy there!

There is a process and the court has already submitted an injunction on the blockade. Why the RCMP is not enforcing the will of the court in this case is anybody's guess I suppose. Local politics?

WRT Mick's particular issue, we're not even sure if the charges against him will make it to a judge of any sort. All we know is that the RCMP have recommended charges and the Crown has apparently filed them. The Crown may (should?) have the charges rejected by the court based on poor evidence that he has even committed a crime. If that happens, the justice system is working more or less how it should. It makes errors of all kinds while regulating our complex society but there is generally many opportunities for self correction built into the processes involved.

If the process goes beyond a preliminary hearing and Mick is convicted via a decision at trial, only then is it potentially setting a negative legal precedent.

Nothing done in this case will be the "end of the matter". There is a tonne of legal complexity surrounding ownership of Crown Land in BC right now. Best big picture thing to be done ATM, is to put political pressure on legislators of all flavours to get the negotiations moving. Putting a whole lot of communal energy into fighting various spot fires, while ignoring the legal candelling straight ahead, is only counter productive to the larger goal: Which is that every BC stakeholder knows where they stand when it comes to fair productive use of their commons.