Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain sheep hunting

Re: Mountain sheep hunting

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    I see you did some research before applying for that draw.
    x2
    congrats on the draw i hope you go, and didnt take the chance away from someone else who would have went.

Not really
    just applied

I'll try , but if not- I'll save one life

Quote Originally Posted by Dorarem View Post
    Ya, because sheep actually getting killed wasn't already factored into LEH permit numbers to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorarem View Post
    Nice, that's the attitude

So applying for a spring time sheep hunt at first, then for an unknown type of ram, in an unknown spot? Wow ya they are in the bush you'll find them in 6-20

i think a good start would be the REGULATIONS and A MAP these are hunting tools we need to use before we ask ridiculous questions and apply for hunts that we don't know where we are going let alone what we are even hunting for

anyways sorry about that but come on

Sorry man, but I'm not asking about spots or something. I asked people, who might go there for sheep hunting as well. i read regs really well , just forgot about sheep in that area ...decided to ask . If u don't like something,why do u even reply here ?��������������

I think he is saying that many people would give left nut for that draw and it is a heartbreaker to see it go to someone who is not even serious about the draw.why put in if you are not going, that's all

I didn't say that I'm not going. Who knows whats gonna happen in fall ...

As I understand it, they account for this scenario when deciding the number of tags.

Expected success rate includes the assumption that some hunters will have zero days of hunting said species in said area.

Tried to Google this to see where I read this...so by no means stating this as fact. Could be wrong on this.

At this point, he hasn't "wasted" the tag yet. While his current effort to partake in this hunt and be safe and successful may not be what most of us would consider adequate, he's got time to get it together.

My suggestion is to start googling the heck of the area, searches on this and that other forum, search for online content relating to other recreation users in the area have to say etc.

See if you can find some books with blurbs or more about the area. Even if they are "true hunting stories", you'll be entertained and may pick up some insight.

We are doing some planning on a hunt in the Koots and we have been pounding the internet, lots of gems out there where may not think to look. Found a book in the library that is all about the hiking in and around exactly where we are thinking of going.

While the bridges may have been burnt with some based on how this thread has kicked off, play your cards right and you never know what someone may help you out with.

You won't be the first person to apply and then have to figure out what they have gotten themselves into once successful. You see a few guys come clean every year on here. I get why it pisses some guys off. Me on the other hand, want to be able to be able to say "I GOT NOTHING AGAIN THIS YEAR! 87 YEARS IN A ROW. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I APPLY! WE NEED A POINT SYSTEM"

Do some digging, get some of the groundwork done and then come back and fill folks in on what you've done and learned to make this hunt happen. Then I bet you may get a bit of propping up.

I bet if you show you'd be a reasonable partner, you may find someone willing to go on the hunt with you. Just cause one wouldn't be the shooter doesn't mean they couldn't enjoy the hell out of this hunt. My guess is guys are going to want to know you are in shape, that they are not going to put themselves in an unsafe position and that you've got the gear to be able to stay out there as long as planned. And that you aren't a dodo with bread crumbs for brains that'd be torture to spend that much time with. Which I am not saying you are, just saying what would be my four things that'd matter to me.

I have gear and am kinda in shape...so I am only scoring 50% myself. And no, not inviting myself. I've got my season planned out give or take.

Also ignore SR80, crotchety ******* he is. He wants everyone to stay gritty just like him. But really he is a leg humper. <I USED A BAD WORD! I FEEL SHAME>
    Last edited by Lastcar; 02-25-2017 at 06:03 PM.