Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125 grain bolt

125 grain bolt

I have heard that they don't make a 125 grain bolt for a cross bow anymore ,has anyone heard of this ????.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 125 grain bolt

Well for the brand of bolt that I fire it has to be 350 grain minimum (yours should be 300 minimum) before the application of your tip.

75 - 125 grain bolts are for the really small pistol style bows that you c0ck by hand.
    Good trader rating from Jessbennett The others seem to be lost in the original thread deletion.

and pistol x-bows are PROHIBITED in Canada.
    If your asking about a 125 gr field point or broad head, yes they are still made, one of the most popular sizes.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

What i am talking about is the wieght of the bolt ,not the broadhead or the field tip head.

Okay, look at this chart to see your minimum required bolt weight; Click here.

I was wrong, it seems that the normal vixen requires a 325 grain bolt, and you said yours has some souped up front limbs? Since yours is hitting harder than normal I'd keep on the side of caution and only fire 350 grain min, before addition of fletching or broadhead.

Basically Wayne, if there is a 125 grain crossbow bolt it's dangerous to your front limbs (and personal safety) to fire it. You require 350 grain minimum.

and pistol x-bows are PROHIBITED in Canada.
    Doesn't mean that I can't learn about them and share some knowledge. PS: Caps being on is SCREAMING FYI.
    Good trader rating from Jessbennett The others seem to be lost in the original thread deletion.

Unhappy Re: 125 grain bolt

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Okay, look at this chart to see your minimum required bolt weight; Click here.

I was wrong, it seems that the normal vixen requires a 325 grain bolt, and you said yours has some souped up front limbs? Since yours is hitting harder than normal I'd keep on the side of caution and only fire 350 grain min, before addition of fletching or broadhead.

Basically Wayne, if there is a 125 grain crossbow bolt it's dangerous to your front limbs (and personal safety) to fire it. You require 350 grain minimum.

Doesn't mean that I can't learn about them and share some knowledge. PS: Caps being on is SCREAMING FYI.
    I e mailed Excalibur about the limbs and they said they are all the same. The differences on the fps is the draw length. So my cross bow is 275 feet fps. I an shooting a easton bolt ,xx75 ,2117 witch is a 125 grain bolt.

Your shooting 125 grain bolts through that thing? 125 grain bolts are for compound crossbows with less draw weight or less tension at shot.

I'd go buy a box of Excalibur endorsed Gold Tips, they have at least the minimum proper grains to shoot through our bows. A heavier bolt will reduce FPS by a negligible amount, but it will increase kinetic energy and allow for greater resistance to friction of the target. In plain terms this is more penetration.

You won't notice a catastrophic failure right away, but sooner or later you are going to damage your front limbs, bolts, string, and perhaps even yourself. Shooting a proper grain bolt adds enough resistance to the shot that it doesn't cause as much stress to the bow.

Now I'm curious Wayne, what kind of nocks do those bolts have? Are they half moon shaped, or do they have a insert in them that can screw in a field tip? You want to shoot insert nocked bolts with Excalibur bows, as a half moon nock will eventually allow the string to go over the bolt at shot, causing a dry fire and a big headache. Cool part of insert nocks is that you can screw in the T handle arrow puller and save on some frustration.
    Last edited by loki; 07-15-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Hunter47,

I am not sure how you weighed your bolts but I doubt that they are only 125 grains, medium carbons are between 8 & 12 grains per inch and XX75 would be heaver than that, plus you have around 20 grains for vanes and nock plus your insert, field point or broadhead. How long are your bolts mate, and how are you weighing them?

The reason for minimum arrow weight is to prevent damage to your limbs. I tried looking on the net for the weight of XX75's but I have limited access here at work, I will try again tonight when I get home.

Not trying to start a s%*t fight mate, just don't want you shooting gear that my damage your bow or cause injury

Cheers Noel

125 grains sounds like a fresh cut bare shaft ....

Hunter some people cant seem to think outside their own world ... Dont worry about them

However ... thats said ... when people talk about Bolt or arrow weight ... they talk about finished weight ... fully dressed and ready to party

I will post a pic of the bolts and field tips cross bow latter this afternoon.