Thread: Tri pod question?

Tri pod question?

Hello everyone. Today I purchased a new vortex razor hd spotting scope in the 65mm. My question is what kind of tri pods are some of you sheep and goat hunters using? I see there are many different kinds and brands. I would like a good quality, sturdy, and most important light weight. Any info and experience would help me narrow down which one to buy. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tri pod question?

Nice spotter Skeena! I bought a Manfrotto tripod a few years ago and have never used anything else. It is robust, but pretty light.

I was told to err on the side of robust, not weight. Nothing worse than a jiggling image when you are trying to count annuli.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Did you buy the new style or old style razor? Also looking to buy it, trying to find old style on sale still.

Hmm second for Manfrotto..
    Srupp

Ive got a gitzo and its awesome, strong and light, but stupid expensive. Lots of guys swear by slik (624?) and sirui carbon fiber pods as well. Look hard at different heads as well since some are nearly as heavy as the legs. If you can fork out the cash look at outdoorsmens pan/mico pan head. I went with an oben BE-108, and it's done the trick so far.

I picked up the new razor hd spotter really nice can't wait to glass some critters with it. Thanks all for the info so far gives me a good jump start on the shopping!

I have bought and used probably 1/2 a dozen tripods and always found it was a real challenge to get on, and keep on animals. Of course they work but when you have to sometimes be fast, or are using for long periods of time, it can make a big difference.
    I would suggest looking at the Induro line of tripods and ball heads. The ones I bought were the BHD0 Ball head ($149) and CT014 ($299), now replaced by the CLT004 unit. They are a good product and will not break the bank, I almost went with a much more expensive unit, but backed away. I have been really happy with this set up. I think what I like most is the ball head and how smooth it is and how once you find something to look at when panning, when you lock it down, it stays put. Enjoy your new optics!