Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

Because I'm a hunter it's in our blood, just as the grizzly hunts it's prey!! Humans have been hunting for thousands of years. The feeling I get when I'm on the mountain confirms this and I know it to be true. Pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I'll put that in #4, realistically.

#2 and #4, then.

#4 and #3

#4 and #1

#4 then, I think

There could be a #6 re because it's sustainable and regulated...but that's not a reason to do it as much as a "why it's okay". There's a bit of #2 in here for the "wariness" aspect as a subset of "predator control."

#4 and #1/#3

Probably still #4, I'd think.

#2, for sure.

Thanks, pretty interesting replies. I'm surprised at how little #1 there is, though. I thought more people would say they eat the meat.
    Its good to know we have a resident psychiatrist we can consult when we need to be told the reasoning behind the reasons we have given. Thanks for free consult!

There is also nothing like seeing a monster grizz up on the mtn and heading up after it to kill it. I wish I was blood thirsty murderer on those but its happened twice and still havent connected with a huuuuugggee one lol

Quote Originally Posted by J-F View Post
    Hunted animals are much more wary of humans which is good for both bears and people.

For me, this is the biggest reason I see to hunt them, keep them at their place i.e. just under the top predator walking on two legs.

The other reason I will probably apply for next year is to help ungulate populations. The experience made in Yellowstone with radio-collared elk calves has shown us their impact on the renewal of elk populations, even if they are not the only ones to make an impact.
    I've always believed that to be a bogus argument. If we are all as good as we claim to be on these pages then a hunted animal is a dead animal. That's pretty educational I guess. Do the live ones in the next valley over get an email or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougielightning View Post
    Because I'm a hunter it's in our blood, just as the grizzly hunts it's prey!! Humans have been hunting for thousands of years. The feeling I get when I'm on the mountain confirms this and I know it to be true. Pure and simple.
    This pretty much sums it up for me! Would also love to try Grizzly flesh cooked over a fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    I've always believed that to be a bogus argument. If we are all as good as we claim to be on these pages then a hunted animal is a dead animal. That's pretty educational I guess. Do the live ones in the next valley over get an email or what?
    Sounds like you've never hunted before?

Because it makes the SPCA cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    This question is NOT even remotely a critical one - just want to learn more.

I was listening to the most recent Meat Eater podcast last night and something that I took away from it (if I understood it properly) is that predators (grizz, in particular, as the focus of the cast) don't have a seriously detrimental impact on ungulate population, generally (although, it appears wolves may be the exception, here). I'm paraphrasing and maybe misunderstood...was walking the dog and carrying a heavy pack at the time, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

So my question is essentially "what's the draw to grizzly hunting?" (I've seen a lot of threads lately with people very excited about it)

1. Meat - some people say it's gross. Others say it's taste as good or better than black bear. So if it's not meat, then...?

2. Predator control in an effort to assist ungulate populations - see above. If not that, then...?

3. Pelts - most of us don't wear grizzly skins but I guess several people have rugs. Or have them hung, in some instances. This is something that I would refer to as a "trophy" reason for hunting.

4. It's just cool - shooting a big bear is basically an assertion of dominance over nature. This would also be "trophy" reasoning, to my mind.

5. Revenge - see "The Revenant".

For the people that don't eat the meat, I'm guessing it's mostly #2 with side benefits of 3 & 4, is that right? And then I'm guessing there are several people whose main reasons are either 3 or 4, but figure that #2 justifies that. Is that fair?

I'm also guessing that #5 doesn't apply to many of us.

I'm seriously not judging any of those reasons - It's legal and that's all there is to it. I'm trying to decide if I might hunt black bear this spring, myself. I just want to better understand reasoning for the grizz hunt.
    I just like the fur too. Is that wrong. Do I need to dominate nature to enjoy cuddling up on a grizz rug?

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    the bears that feel confident spending time in closer proximity to humans get harvested at a higher rate. Maybe that Darwin guy was on to something...

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Because they keep trying to steal our deer and elk hanging in camp.......pest control I say !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America