Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Why hunt Grizz?

This question is NOT even remotely a critical one - just want to learn more.

I was listening to the most recent Meat Eater podcast last night and something that I took away from it (if I understood it properly) is that predators (grizz, in particular, as the focus of the cast) don't have a seriously detrimental impact on ungulate population, generally (although, it appears wolves may be the exception, here). I'm paraphrasing and maybe misunderstood...was walking the dog and carrying a heavy pack at the time, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

So my question is essentially "what's the draw to grizzly hunting?" (I've seen a lot of threads lately with people very excited about it)

1. Meat - some people say it's gross. Others say it's taste as good or better than black bear. So if it's not meat, then...?

2. Predator control in an effort to assist ungulate populations - see above. If not that, then...?

3. Pelts - most of us don't wear grizzly skins but I guess several people have rugs. Or have them hung, in some instances. This is something that I would refer to as a "trophy" reason for hunting.

4. It's just cool - shooting a big bear is basically an assertion of dominance over nature. This would also be "trophy" reasoning, to my mind.

5. Revenge - see "The Revenant".

For the people that don't eat the meat, I'm guessing it's mostly #2 with side benefits of 3 & 4, is that right? And then I'm guessing there are several people whose main reasons are either 3 or 4, but figure that #2 justifies that. Is that fair?

I'm also guessing that #5 doesn't apply to many of us.

I'm seriously not judging any of those reasons - It's legal and that's all there is to it. I'm trying to decide if I might hunt black bear this spring, myself. I just want to better understand reasoning for the grizz hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

they steal pickinick baskets......sorry I couldn't resist

but in all seriousness I am considering a gbear hunt to help keep their numbers from exploding not because one stole a deer out of our camp (#5)
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 02-21-2017 at 03:35 PM.

6. The challenge

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I hunt grizz firstly, to aid in the management of the species. I hunt grizz because I can hunt grizz. I hunt grizz because it's the ultimate prey animal where I reside, and if I kill one it is because I was the ultimate predator!! I hunt grizz because I enjoy recreating in the habitat the grizz lives in. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

According to the GOABC (love 'em or hate 'em) the current hunter harvest rate is approximately 2%, which is significantly less than the maximum human-caused mortality of 5% stipulated in the Grizzly Bear Harvest Management Procedure.

If that is true, then it would be a false and indeed arrogant assumption to imagine that shooting one bear was going to assist in any way at all in management of the species or to keep the population from exploding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    According to the GOABC (love 'em or hate 'em) the current hunter harvest rate is approximately 2%, which is significantly less than the maximum human-caused mortality of 5% stipulated in the Grizzly Bear Harvest Management Procedure.

If that is true, then it would be a false and indeed arrogant assumption to imagine that shooting one bear was going to assist in any way at all in management of the species or to keep the population from exploding.
    I am only 1 hunter of many so yes my kills will always be irrelevant but together we can make a difference

thrill of the hunt for such a dangerous predator, and the rug

Hmmm most fun you can have with your clothes on..lol
    I truly love spring bear hunting..as much as summer sheep..or fall moose..
    The challenge of taking on the prime apex predator on in his domain..
    Interior grizz meat has a nice bite to it..lol..
    Cheers
    Srupp

I enjoy being out in remote, beautiful mountains in the spring, carrying a big rifle. Grizzly is king of our jungles, just being out there with a chance to take such an animal is why I go. It's the experience and memories
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post

This is true. Grizzlies are 'managed' so hunting mortality doesnt affect the population. Grizzlies are compulsory inspected so all legal harvest is known. If too many sows are shot, the number of tags is reduced in subsequent years.

This is important when defending the hunt as it is sustainable.

Hunted animals are much more wary of humans which is good for both bears and people.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....