Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

i remember someone else mentioning the worms (filarial worms) and ow they quit eating bear out of respect for the "white spirit worms" heheheheh

Too funny, guys get all grossed out over a few tiny worms in their bear meat, but think nothing of chowing down on hormone ridden, chemically processed meat from the grocery store.

If you're too scared to hunt down a grizzly, that's perfectly okay, but please cut the garbage excuses that wreak of "anti" and just own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    For the longest time I wasn't ever going to go on a Gbear hunt...my dad never had an interest in it and he kind of passed that on to me. But as I get more involved in hunting I started to ask myself why not? I now am actively looking to bag a Gbear. Its not for the meat, its not for the trophy, but I plan on utilizing both the hide and the meat...its simply because why not? Why is a grizzly bear any different than a black bear, a deer, a moose or elk? Why not is the question rather than why...if its sustainable, done ethically and everything is utilized then the question is not why, but why not. Its not a magical creature, its not special, its just another animal in our environment. If you say no way to a gbear hunt, you might as well hang up the guns or bows, stop buying licenses and simply let others tell you what you should or shouldn't do. If we let them shut down the gbear hunt, the next will be black bear (already happened on QCI), and then it will be big bucks because they are magestic and beautiful...

So I am choosing to excercise my right as a hunter to hunt any creature as long as we do it ethically, and by doing this I am supporting those that really are into it, the guys that dream of that hunt. We should not choose what we find acceptable and pass judgement on others in our community, but rather support each other as long as it meets 2 criteria...ethical and sustainable.

Don't ask why, but ask why not. As soon as you ask why, you are siding with the anti hunters who have choosen this angle to attack us on, and when they achieve the outcome there, they will pick another angle to attack us on.
    I believe that we can ask "why" of almost anything. Without reason, there is little to support our own positions. I've personally been careful to try not to impart any particular values on the grizz hunt in this thread (particularly because I don't have strong feelings about it...but also because it's not my place - it's legal and sustainable - which makes it ethical...at least in some regards). No judgment - just discussion. I've learned a lot in reading this thread and find the responses intriguing. I can understand better now why people are interested in it. I'm personally not that interested in actually doing it myself, but I wouldn't object to anyone else doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Hate to see you if you were in the kitchen where your cod for fish'n'chips is being cut up.
    Cod's one of the worst...but I was joking anyhow. There's a lot of shit (literally and figuratively) that we eat that we don't see.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Too funny, guys get all grossed out over a few tiny worms in their bear meat, but think nothing of chowing down on hormone ridden, chemically processed meat from the grocery store.

If you're too scared to hunt down a grizzly, that's perfectly okay, but please cut the garbage excuses that wreak of "anti" and just own it.
    I don't plan on taking taking up grizz hunting, despite excellent arguments in favour of it found here...but my reasons are personal and ones that I would NEVER impose on others. My reasons don't even make sense, and I know it - but that doesn't matter - I just don't want to do it. But, to me, bears are essentially too dog/human-like for me to want to pull the trigger. Sure, it's a silly and arbitrary reason and I'm sure others will feel compelled to skewer me for it, but, hey, we're all entitled to our own reasons for doing things.

I remember speaking to a guy (a member here, actually) who was hunting and had a black bear tag...had a bear in his sights but then the bear did something that simply made him say "nope, not shooting today." And that's fair, too.

I have a much better understanding of the grizz hunt now, even if I'm not dying to do it (not scare of it...although probably should be!).

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    ..had a bear in his sights but then the bear did something that simply made him say "nope, not shooting today."

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

My post wasn't directed at you AG, even if you are scared of worms. Haha.

Bear hunting isn't for everyone and that's fine. What concerns me is some of the reasoning used to defend that stance. When hunters start using the same angles as antis, it is very concerning to me as a hunter. If grizzly hunting is eventually shut down, despite thriving populations, rest assured another "majestic" animal will take its place on the chopping block.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    This question is NOT even remotely a critical one - just want to learn more.

I was listening to the most recent Meat Eater podcast last night and something that I took away from it (if I understood it properly) is that predators (grizz, in particular, as the focus of the cast) don't have a seriously detrimental impact on ungulate population, generally (although, it appears wolves may be the exception, here). I'm paraphrasing and maybe misunderstood...was walking the dog and carrying a heavy pack at the time, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

So my question is essentially "what's the draw to grizzly hunting?" (I've seen a lot of threads lately with people very excited about it)

1. Meat - some people say it's gross. Others say it's taste as good or better than black bear. So if it's not meat, then...?

2. Predator control in an effort to assist ungulate populations - see above. If not that, then...?

3. Pelts - most of us don't wear grizzly skins but I guess several people have rugs. Or have them hung, in some instances. This is something that I would refer to as a "trophy" reason for hunting.

4. It's just cool - shooting a big bear is basically an assertion of dominance over nature. This would also be "trophy" reasoning, to my mind.

5. Revenge - see "The Revenant".

For the people that don't eat the meat, I'm guessing it's mostly #2 with side benefits of 3 & 4, is that right? And then I'm guessing there are several people whose main reasons are either 3 or 4, but figure that #2 justifies that. Is that fair?

I'm also guessing that #5 doesn't apply to many of us.

I'm seriously not judging any of those reasons - It's legal and that's all there is to it. I'm trying to decide if I might hunt black bear this spring, myself. I just want to better understand reasoning for the grizz hunt.

Hunting big old Grizzly Boars the kind which can outsmart the most experienced Hunter is an old thing, it goes way back like 1000s of years. If it,s not in you, then you probably never understand.

And for that poorly done Movie "the Revenant" gee I bought a Ticket because of DeCaprio. Big mistake, animatet Bears, Wolves and Bisons for plenty of hype.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    I'd agree. I'll bet if you look at the number there are far more moose killed by trains and deer killed by cars than by grizzly bears, but I don't see anyone here volunteering to go "control" any train engines.

The whole notion that we are some kind of self appointed "White Knights" with a God-given right to save ungulates from predators seems a little overblown and obviously self serving. After all, they are our deer and moose aren't they? They don't belong to the damn bears and wolves.
    Hunters have funded lots of wildlife fencing along highways etc, not so easy around train tracks, but at least we have done something in that respect toward helping ungulates....and we're not saying that bears and wolves don't deserve to be there, but we have to manage their numbers as well, there's too many in many parts of the province.. managing predator numbers will help the ungulates rebound quicker..

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    If man has caused an imbalance by facilitating animals/plants/disease to get to areas they wouldn't naturally get to, we need to mitigate that impact.....for wolves, pushing roads in everywhere has allowed them to penetrate into areas where they should not be....grizz/cougars etc were SSS by anyone on the fringe and over time it went too far so we changed how we think about grizz and started to let them live/reproduce to the point where there are problem bears that are not being dealt with

do people honestly think roads are the reason wolves are being seen in new areas???? Let's be honest.....there are huge areas of Canada that do not have roads but guess what....wolves live there or travel through. Due to high ungulate populations the wolf population has exploded. Packs will split and create new packs and find new territory but it doesn't have anything to do with roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    For the longest time I wasn't ever going to go on a Gbear hunt...my dad never had an interest in it and he kind of passed that on to me. But as I get more involved in hunting I started to ask myself why not? I now am actively looking to bag a Gbear. Its not for the meat, its not for the trophy, but I plan on utilizing both the hide and the meat...its simply because why not? Why is a grizzly bear any different than a black bear, a deer, a moose or elk? Why not is the question rather than why...if its sustainable, done ethically and everything is utilized then the question is not why, but why not. Its not a magical creature, its not special, its just another animal in our environment. If you say no way to a gbear hunt, you might as well hang up the guns or bows, stop buying licenses and simply let others tell you what you should or shouldn't do. If we let them shut down the gbear hunt, the next will be black bear (already happened on QCI), and then it will be big bucks because they are magestic and beautiful...

So I am choosing to excercise my right as a hunter to hunt any creature as long as we do it ethically, and by doing this I am supporting those that really are into it, the guys that dream of that hunt. We should not choose what we find acceptable and pass judgement on others in our community, but rather support each other as long as it meets 2 criteria...ethical and sustainable.

Don't ask why, but ask why not. As soon as you ask why, you are siding with the anti hunters who have choosen this angle to attack us on, and when they achieve the outcome there, they will pick another angle to attack us on.
    Very, very well said.....

Quote Originally Posted by kevan View Post
    I posted regarding two Blackies I butchered that were totally crawling with red pinworms a few years ago.
    That did it for me and bear hunting..
    Weird, outa the bears myself and a couple buddies have shot, weve never had any of these problems....