Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

Because we hairless apes are predators. Because bears are a renewable resource managed in a sustainable way. Because the meat and/or fur are wonderful, usable, natural products.

7 bucket list
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Because we hairless apes are predators. Because bears are a renewable resource managed in a sustainable way. Because the meat and/or fur are wonderful, usable, natural products.
    nice I like this answer, ill go with that one too!

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Hunted animals are much more wary of humans which is good for both bears and people.

For me, this is the biggest reason I see to hunt them, keep them at their place i.e. just under the top predator walking on two legs.

The other reason I will probably apply for next year is to help ungulate populations. The experience made in Yellowstone with radio-collared elk calves has shown us their impact on the renewal of elk populations, even if they are not the only ones to make an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    6. The challenge
    I'll put that in #4, realistically.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    I hunt grizz firstly, to aid in the management of the species. I hunt grizz because I can hunt grizz. I hunt grizz because it's the ultimate prey animal where I reside, and if I kill one it is because I was the ultimate predator!! I hunt grizz because I enjoy recreating in the habitat the grizz lives in. Moosin
    #2 and #4, then.

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    thrill of the hunt for such a dangerous predator, and the rug
    #4 and #3

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm most fun you can have with your clothes on..lol
    I truly love spring bear hunting..as much as summer sheep..or fall moose..
    The challenge of taking on the prime apex predator on in his domain..
    Interior grizz meat has a nice bite to it..lol..
    Cheers
    Srupp
    #4 and #1

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I enjoy being out in remote, beautiful mountains in the spring, carrying a big rifle. Grizzly is king of our jungles, just being out there with a chance to take such an animal is why I go. It's the experience and memories
    #4 then, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    This is true. Grizzlies are 'managed' so hunting mortality doesnt affect the population. Grizzlies are compulsory inspected so all legal harvest is known. If too many sows are shot, the number of tags is reduced in subsequent years.

This is important when defending the hunt as it is sustainable.

Hunted animals are much more wary of humans which is good for both bears and people.

SSS
    There could be a #6 re because it's sustainable and regulated...but that's not a reason to do it as much as a "why it's okay". There's a bit of #2 in here for the "wariness" aspect as a subset of "predator control."

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    #4 and #1/#3

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    7 bucket list
    Probably still #4, I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by J-F View Post

For me, this is the biggest reason I see to hunt them, keep them at their place i.e. just under the top predator walking on two legs.

The other reason I will probably apply for next year is to help ungulate populations. The experience made in Yellowstone with radio-collared elk calves has shown us their impact on the renewal of elk populations, even if they are not the only ones to make an impact.
    #2, for sure.

Thanks, pretty interesting replies. I'm surprised at how little #1 there is, though. I thought more people would say they eat the meat.

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

I'll get a black bear for the meat.

Grizzly is BC's only true "dangerous game" species. Sure, moose, black bear, cougar and bison can be dangerous at times, but grizzly stands out. You are picking a fight with something that will fight back, so it's pretty effing exciting.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Also, I eat bear meat- black or grizz.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted.

If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

In all of this, the moral problem of hunting has not been resolved. We have not reached ethical perfection in hunting. One never achieves perfection in anything, and perhaps it exists precisely so that one can never achieve it. Its purpose is to orient our conduct and to allow us to measure the progress accomplished. In this sense, the advancement achieved in the ethics of hunting is undeniable. Therefore it is necessary to oppose photographic hunting, which is not progress but rather a digression and a prudery of hideous moral style.

Every authentic refinement must leave intact the authenticity of the hunt, its essential structure, which is a matter of a confrontation between two unequal species. The real care that man must exercise is not in pretending to make the beast equal to him, because that is a stupid utopian, beatific farce, but rather in avoiding more and more the excess of his superiority. Hunting is the free play of an inferior species in the face of a superior species. That is where one must make some refinement. Man must give the animal a "handicap," in order to place him as close as possible to his own level. The essence of sportive hunting is not raising the animal to the level of man, but something much more spiritual than that: a conscious and almost religious humbling of man which limits his superiority and lowers him toward the animal.

I have said "religious," and the word does not seem excessive to me. A fascinating mystery of nature is manifested in the universal fact of hunting: the inexorable hierarchy among living beings. Every animal is in a relationship of superiority or inferiority with regard to every other. Strict equality is exceedingly improbable and anomalous.

Life is a terrible conflict, a grandiose and atrocious confluence. Hunting submerges man deliberately in that formidable mystery and therefore contains something of religious rite and emotion in which homage is paid to what is divine, transcendent, in the laws of nature.
    - From Meditations on Hunting by José Ortega y Gasset.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I hunt grizz because I believe in conservation and taking advantage of hunting opportunities. If nobody did it the chance to hunt grizz and get out into the spring mountains would be lost. I like spring hunting and find it very refreshing after the winter.