Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

I don't hunt bears myself, my wife has no interest in eating bear, I'm not going to eat one myself so I don't bother. I have though taken 3 different groups of folks out black bear hunting successfully when I lived on the north island. I enjoyed those trips a lot we got some nice b bears. I've never hunted grizzly but am a strong proponent of a limited grizzly bear hunt as we have where numbers allow it.

Hey.. we've been screwing with nature as the mastermind for a long time now with that comes responsibility. And not hunting them and letting grizzly bears become overpopulated and without fear of humans would be irresponsible and lead to a shit ton of grizzly bears needing to be killed by COs. Ask the folks at Rivers Inlet about this scenario they've BTDT.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Not even black bears now?
    Nope, I only shoot what I`m gonna eat and I don`t eat bears. I don`t shoot gophers or coyotes either.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Nope, I only shoot what I`m gonna eat and I don`t eat bears. I don`t shoot gophers or coyotes either.
    Interesting concept. Curious, where is your cutoff point, where it becomes "okay" to kill something you don't intend to eat? Pack rat? House mouse? Wasp? House fly? Or does your logic only extend to animals you kill with your rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Hey.. we've been screwing with nature as the mastermind for a long time now with that comes responsibility. And not hunting them and letting grizzly bears become overpopulated and without fear of humans would be irresponsible and lead to a shit ton of grizzly bears needing to be killed by COs. Ask the folks at Rivers Inlet about this scenario they've BTDT.
    Had a prime example of that right near my house last fall. A sow with 2 yearling cubs and a lone adolescent boar, all hanging around residences in Cherryville, to the point of sleeping on porches. CO's finally got around to setting a trap and "relocated" thr sow and cubs to the far end of the Monashee, then claimed a job well done in the local paper, like the bears somehow "accidentally" ended up here in the first place. Less than 2 weeks later, I get a pick up roar up my lane and inform me that the same sow(now with a single cub) just ran into the trees that border my house. What a joke. The only reason those bears were here in the first place is because bigger dominant bears had the wild food places claimed. The CO'S might as well have just dispatched them right out of the gate, as a dominant bear obviously killed one before mama could make it back to the safety of the houses. Not sure what happened to the rest, but never seen them again on my trail cams and there was still plenty of fall left before den up. A likely scenario in these parts is someone finally did the right thing before someone got mauled or killed.

So there's another reason to hunt grizzlies, SAFETY, to make sure there is enough room in wild places, so grizzlies aren't forced down into residential areas.

Fair choice. Seems to be a common one among many hunters

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Interesting concept. Curious, where is your cutoff point, where it becomes "okay" to kill something you don't intend to eat? Pack rat? House mouse? Wasp? House fly? Or does your logic only extend to animals you kill with your rifle?
    I don't think he was saying whether or not it's "okay" as much as that's just how he personally draws a line for what he's willing to hunt.

Ya I know. Just baffles me how guys think nothing of shooting their deer/elk/moose every year, but refuse to manage predator populations because they don't eat predators.

Ignorance

It was only through this forum and discussion like this that I figured it out. Will kill at least one blackie this year and will try for a grizzly. Any Wolf I see will be shot. Kicking myself for missing a shot at a coyote last fall...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Ya I know. Just baffles me how guys think nothing of shooting their deer/elk/moose every year, but refuse to manage predator populations because they don't eat predators.
    But they sure can bitch if they don't find something to shoot for the freezer.

Next time your swinging through reg 8 let me know, I have a black bear smokie I'd like you to try, then you'll change your tune..

Because I might die and it's all about extreme for me...

That's why deer hunting etc. makes me sleepy