Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    Yes that is what I mean.
    Cool adventure for a kid to talk about at school on Monday.

Saw 17 Grizzly in a very small area while hunting last fall (4-29). Had a moose draw in the same zone . Never saw one moose!
    Lots of Wolf, Lots of Bears . Only saw One deer. Hunted hard for months. Granted this massive, steep and deep country,but
    there is an imbalance in this zone for sure.
    Here's to next year.
    Happy to have spring bear in the freezer.
    3 of us put in for LEH Grizz and did not get one.

Good luck all.

I'd have to say for the challenge... I hunt black bears for meat, and will take grizz meat home for sure. But grizz are rarer, tougher, more aggressive and will take ore and better hunting to connect with. The payoff from achieving the challenge is meat, memories, and a souvenir rug...

Why hunt grizzly bears? I can't think of much better way to spend a sunny day in May laying in the snow glassing an avalanche slide waiting for a bear to walk out in freshly green slide. Watching sow and cubs slide down in the snow or stalking a big boar, life doesn't get any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    I've always believed that to be a bogus argument. If we are all as good as we claim to be on these pages then a hunted animal is a dead animal. That's pretty educational I guess. Do the live ones in the next valley over get an email or what?
    Take it up with Dr Valerius Geist.

He always emphasizes that we must hunt grizzly bears to keep grizzly bears wary and wild.

I was at one of his presentations when he described how wary a hunted grizzly bear is - a truly wild grizzly is suspicious and "afraid" of any sound he hears on his backtrail.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    Maybe it does bring out our most primal instincts. the same way the Masi hunt lions with spears. When I'm out in the bush hunting deer or moose I can feel, taste, and smell my environment. it's like dormant instincts resurface. Only other hunters have ever experience this.when I think of all the people in their offices sitting at there computer terminals, I feel sorry for them because that's not living it's just surviving. I wish everyone could experience it just once in there lives. I've never been bear hunting but it's definitely on my bucket list. Keep up these great discussions HBC I so enjoy them.
    sitting here "surviving" at the moment...at my computer thinking...well....you just ruined my day..heheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Take it up with Dr Valerius Geist.

He always emphasizes that we must hunt grizzly bears to keep grizzly bears wary and wild.

I was at one of his presentations when he described how wary a hunted grizzly bear is - a truly wild grizzly is suspicious and "afraid" of any sound he hears on his backtrail.
    How does a Grizzly know he's being hunted? Only way he knows soft little human animals are threat that needs to be avoided is if he's hurt by them. If he's shot (presumably killed) then the lesson doesn't matter.

it's not about a griz feeling "hunted" it's about it being wary of humans...ie: we scare it away so it gets a fear of people..if it doesn't have fear of people , it gets shot therefore fear of humans is a trait that helps them live and that is what mom will teach the cubs

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    How does a Grizzly know he's being hunted? Only way he knows soft little human animals are threat that needs to be avoided is if he's hurt by them. If he's shot (presumably killed) then the lesson doesn't matter.
    There is a different "vibe" in the air when you are stalking an animal with intent to kill. They seem to be able to sense that there is danger. Ever notice in the offseason, game animals often pay very little attention to you.....season opens and that all changes.

Lions will be seen sleeping in close proximity to herds of peacefully feeding ungulates. The zebra(or whatever) know the difference between a lion on the prowl and one that is no threat.

What I am saying, is you don't have to kill a grizzly for it to know it is being hunted.

Also, anyone who runs 100% kills on every stalk opportunity is a heluvalot more skilled than I am!

Good thread, I hope it stays civil.

Darcy

why hunt them? if i did id say for the carrying capacity science that says its the right thing to do for healthy populations vs over crowded and week/sick animal if that isnt carried out.