Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

I dont think he is being divisive, or judgemental. Just asking a question and starting a conversation. Of course this is a brave thing to do on HBC as the flaming and roasting is legendary.

Maybe it does bring out our most primal instincts. the same way the Masi hunt lions with spears. When I'm out in the bush hunting deer or moose I can feel, taste, and smell my environment. it's like dormant instincts resurface. Only other hunters have ever experience this.when I think of all the people in their offices sitting at there computer terminals, I feel sorry for them because that's not living it's just surviving. I wish everyone could experience it just once in there lives. I've never been bear hunting but it's definitely on my bucket list. Keep up these great discussions HBC I so enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    I think you are actually wrong to try and lump them all in your own self-made category when there are in fact several other opinions that don't agree with your "system" of deciding what "fits" where. Yes, they may fall under that for you, but I'd say there are several other reasons that people hunt ANY species so depending on whose list the definitions would all be different.

Just my thoughts on why there will be disagreement. I have a few reasons I hunt grizz, but they don't fall perfectly under your categories nor do I want them bunched how you see fit.
    That's fair. Not trying to cause anyone to get upset...just using terminology that categorized things in my head. Everyone has their own words for the same thing (but the psych comment was a bit uncalled for).

I'd love to hear the reasons - I think the results of this thread are quite enlightening and I'm glad I asked a question that I've wondered about for awhile. Any earlier "categorizing" of the responses is just for my own sake...I won't do that anymore...just "thinking out loud" kind of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    Why would someone want to fish? They could just buy that meat in a store for cheaper.
    For me, fishing is #1 and #4 with a bunch of subsets off #4 (notably because it's a bit different than an apex predator thing...but it's basically "just cool"). In fishing, for me, it's the connection with nature and the calm, relaxing nature of it that suddenly can get very exciting very quickly...and then all goes back to being calm and relaxing.

Which, yeah, that could definitely fit into another category in the way that a lot of people here have commented...in terms of the connecting with nature part. That's fairly general to a lot of hunting and less about grizz specifically, though.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Mr silver: i also listened to that podcast and perhaps heard it differently, as in i thought the bio was saying that bears do account for quite a few dead elk calves.

Regardless, i feel yellowstone and other national parks should not be looked at as nature in its natural state, as humans do not hunt these animals. North america has been a hunting ground for humans for at least 15,000 years, this is the natural state.

Food for thought?
    That's an interesting comment, too. I wonder if "we" (whatever that means) always hunted the big bears? I would think yes as, in more primitive times, there was definitely a need for the pelts but also it was a way of demonstrating dominance generally..."I killed this m-f'er...wanna mess with me?"

guest Guest

For management purposes, for the challenge and memory of the hunts, a pelt or rug, and yes the meat ....... But ...... I will not hunt or shoot a fish bear. If I want something to taste like fish, it will dam well be a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by untilthelastbeat View Post
    Actually your 100% wrong about grizzlies hunting for food. Grizzlies kill other animals because they know they can. Maybe they want to "dominate nature" as you would put it. Sure they eat meat but they kill for fun. 2 years ago a good friend of mine had a grizzly on his ranch that killed 9 yearlings and didn't eat a thin. Threw them around and jumped up and down on them just because it could. I'm sure there's many more stories like this. Iv been nose to nose with grizzlies before and had them charge. Not because they are scared because they know they can win. Fired a 12 Guage over ones head at 15 feet and it just starred and popped it's jaw before charging again. They are an apex predator. Give your head a shake if you think they are just another animal out there minding their own business. They have no morals or code of ethics. North America's wilderness gangsters. And this, this is what makes them so much fun to hunt.
    Interesting. I didn't know that (hence the caveat of not knowing). When you reference yearlings, are you referring to young bears or ungulates? Or cattle? I've heard the term used about a few things before so just wanted to better understand. But that's definitely an interesting phenomenon. I've not heard of that happening among very many animals before.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Reason #12: a pair of skivvies made out of grizzly fur are not only comfortable, they're damn sexy.
    Oh that'd make for a ripe crotch!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Because I want to bang a hot young blonde on a grizzly rug I risked my life to acquire.
    When can we submit our next LEH entries???

Quote Originally Posted by tuner View Post
    He's virtue signalling,lumping hunters into "virtuous" (meat hunters) and " immoral" (trophy hunters).
    He applying Identity politics to hunters rationale, this is the world we live in.
    Hey man, if that's how you interpret it, that's your decision. For me, I'm not associating any virtues to the labels. They're just identifying factors that are my own realistic interpretation of what's happening. If you have a problem with legal "trophy" hunting, I'll leave that with you. I just want to better understand grizzly hunting as I'm still pretty new to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Wall to wall Grizz carpet...

A couple more pelts and we will have over 400 sq ft!

Had them all hand cut down to a random 5/8" to 7/8" pile...

Looks awesome with the different colour phases, feels great on the, "bear" feet...
    That sounds amazing...the first true "shag" carpet! You've gotta put wood paneled walls in that room!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    I could go on and on about the reasons why, but what stands to me is the self ...the importance of challenging yourself and finding limits, or surpassing them. It's been mentioned the Grizzlies are the only true "Dangerous Game". To me they're more than that as I am a firm believer in consuming what I hunt. I'm looking forward not just for the end result, I'm looking forward to learn, learn more about myself, the bear, the hunt. I respect nature and the bears and in turn I hope I'll find the opportunity to harvest one for the ages.

Summarizing: you're always searching for the pieces of self, each and every hunt, specie will add a different colourful piece into the wonderful mosaic we keep growing into ...because at the end, when the man comes to collect, you're left with the memories.
    As always, a great response. Thanks Xeno.

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    It always amazes me how as a group with a common bond we have this need to label and judge our peers, when others hunting practices or goals do not mesh with yours. The bow guys take issue the gun guys, the meat guys find the trophy guys off putting and immoral etc.... As long as everyone is playing within the rules who the F@&K am I to judge. All we do when we as a group open these can of worms to a public forum is give the anti-hunting establishment ammo basic divide and conquer.
    Why do it it? Why not! Sheep and elk ain't my bag, but i don't begrudge them in fact I wish them well and hope they have all the success in the world.
    Why do it? Love, passion, heritage, conservation, camaraderie, grooming the next generation, because I can.
    I'm not judging or begrudging. Just discussing.

Can you expand on "grooming the next generation"? Do you mean you take your kids out grizz hunting so it's part of their learning process?

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    I dont think he is being divisive, or judgemental. Just asking a question and starting a conversation. Of course this is a brave thing to do on HBC as the flaming and roasting is legendary.
    Well, I'm not trying to be, but as you noted, it happens regardless. I like talking about hunting...it's an interesting topic that I don't know a lot about. That's all.

Yes that is what I mean.

What happens when grizzlies get a wiff of humans in the jungle?
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach