Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    do people honestly think roads are the reason wolves are being seen in new areas???? Let's be honest.....there are huge areas of Canada that do not have roads but guess what....wolves live there or travel through. Due to high ungulate populations the wolf population has exploded. Packs will split and create new packs and find new territory but it doesn't have anything to do with roads.
    No. We don't have higher ungulate populations, we've created more access via roads and cut blocks for wolves to travel and become more efficient at hunting which has caused an increase in wolf numbers and a decrease in ungulates.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Since we are on this, the reason I don`t eat bears anymore is because I shot a nice young blackie boar for meat and was cutting steaks off a nice loin when the phone rang. 10 minits later I got back to work and all these thin hair-like worms were crawling out of the cut end of the loin.A fall berry fed bear too. Yeah, tell me about all the deer and elk you have seen with parasites.
    I've seen this in fish.
    I don't think bears are unique in having parasites in their tissue
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    i remember someone else mentioning the worms (filarial worms) and ow they quit eating bear out of respect for the "white spirit worms" heheheheh
    Lol man you're on a roll here
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Since we are on this, the reason I don`t eat bears anymore is because I shot a nice young blackie boar for meat and was cutting steaks off a nice loin when the phone rang. 10 minits later I got back to work and all these thin hair-like worms were crawling out of the cut end of the loin.A fall berry fed bear too. Yeah, tell me about all the deer and elk you have seen with parasites.
    Ever hunted moose where there's a good population of wolves? Wolves piss in the water, swamp donkey eats/drinks from that water and gets worms. It's pretty common...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

If everyone that hunted ungulates hunted predators as well the world would be a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    i remember someone else mentioning the worms (filarial worms) and ow they quit eating bear out of respect for the "white spirit worms" heheheheh
    I quit eating bear meat out of respect for my health. I don`t want those things in me. Screw the "spirit worms" Must be a David Motorcycle thing.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by kevan View Post
    I posted regarding two Blackies I butchered that were totally crawling with red pinworms a few years ago.
    That did it for me and bear hunting..
    Glad to know I`m not alone. Ain`t gonna kill it if I ain`t gonna eat it.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Mmmm........yummy bear worms

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    do people honestly think roads are the reason wolves are being seen in new areas???? Let's be honest.....there are huge areas of Canada that do not have roads but guess what....wolves live there or travel through. Due to high ungulate populations the wolf population has exploded. Packs will split and create new packs and find new territory but it doesn't have anything to do with roads.
    Man did creat conditions that benefit the wolves travel and hunting by building roads. Add in the correct winter conditions and wolves become very successful do to the conditions. Yes they can live without them but no doubt they benefit from roads, pipelines and any other travel routes man builds

Would not say ungulate populations are high in many locations in BC. Personally see wolves as only 1 factor that effects game numbers and many parts of BC I would say impact is low compared to others. I don't see high wolf numbers being a blanketed across BC issue but is a big factor in some areas in my opinion

When it comes to predators I see it as man cannot just take animals from the prey category of the food chain and expect balance. If you want balance you need to target both predator and prey

Glad to know I`m not alone. Ain`t gonna kill it if I ain`t gonna eat it.
    Exactly !!
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..