Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hunt Grizz?

Re: Why hunt Grizz?

Because I have to.
    I quit trying to rationalize it even to myself a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    Its good to know we have a resident psychiatrist we can consult when we need to be told the reasoning behind the reasons we have given. Thanks for free consult!
    If you prefer, I can "expand" on the very brief wording that I used in #4 from "It's cool" to "It's challenging and I want to conquer it." Or maybe that more or less falls under "dominating nature", don't you think? Or do you think it's a different reasoning simply because it's a different word choice?

Yup I agree^^^ bearchaser . Good thread though important thanks

I have not hunted for or put in a LEH for Grizzly as of yet. I hunt Black Bear in the spring , more for the excuse to get out in the woods again than anything else. The two I have harvested were not wasted though. The meat was quite good , and much appreciated. I am a hunter, and the reasons for being a hunter have already been mentioned here. The challenge and the accomplishment , I think, are the key aspects that I am seeking. To someone who has never hunted, pulling a carrot out of the ground is not the same.
    I read a book last year that detailed the account of a Grizzly Bear attack on a young couple and the years of recovery that followed. On my hunting trip in the Okanagan Region last year we saw a Grizz. Very close to where many people go camping , fishing, hiking, etc. If they knew that , would they still go there? I know that I don't want them that close my recreating area. Think I will be putting in for the "draw" for that area next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougielightning View Post
    Because I'm a hunter it's in our blood, just as the grizzly hunts it's prey!! Humans have been hunting for thousands of years. The feeling I get when I'm on the mountain confirms this and I know it to be true. Pure and simple.
    This is an interesting one. "I hunt because I can." Arguably, the grizzly hunts for food. I'm guessing (and I might be wrong, I'm no expert on animal behaviour) that the grizzly probably doesn't "waste" much of what it kills (by that I just mean that it eats most of it...although I know some is left for scavengers).

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    There is also nothing like seeing a monster grizz up on the mtn and heading up after it to kill it. I wish I was blood thirsty murderer on those but its happened twice and still havent connected with a huuuuugggee one lol
    4, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Because it makes the SPCA cry.
    A category unto itself, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    I just like the fur too. Is that wrong. Do I need to dominate nature to enjoy cuddling up on a grizz rug?
    No judgment here, man...definitely not wrong! I think it'd just make me sweaty, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Because they keep trying to steal our deer and elk hanging in camp.......pest control I say !
    Revanant #5!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    Because I have to.
    I quit trying to rationalize it even to myself a long time ago.
    This fits in a bit with Dougie's comment above...I'd think.

I hunt Grizzly because I'm on the top of the food chain.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    If you prefer, I can "expand" on the very brief wording that I used in #4 from "It's cool" to "It's challenging and I want to conquer it." Or maybe that more or less falls under "dominating nature", don't you think? Or do you think it's a different reasoning simply because it's a different word choice?
    I think you are actually wrong to try and lump them all in your own self-made category when there are in fact several other opinions that don't agree with your "system" of deciding what "fits" where. Yes, they may fall under that for you, but I'd say there are several other reasons that people hunt ANY species so depending on whose list the definitions would all be different.

Just my thoughts on why there will be disagreement. I have a few reasons I hunt grizz, but they don't fall perfectly under your categories nor do I want them bunched how you see fit.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 02-21-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    I've always believed that to be a bogus argument. If we are all as good as we claim to be on these pages then a hunted animal is a dead animal. That's pretty educational I guess. Do the live ones in the next valley over get an email or what?
    Go to a National Park and see how animals behave differently towards humans than in areas where they are hunted.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    This question is NOT even remotely a critical one - just want to learn more.

I was listening to the most recent Meat Eater podcast last night and something that I took away from it (if I understood it properly) is that predators (grizz, in particular, as the focus of the cast) don't have a seriously detrimental impact on ungulate population, generally (although, it appears wolves may be the exception, here). I'm paraphrasing and maybe misunderstood...was walking the dog and carrying a heavy pack at the time, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

So my question is essentially "what's the draw to grizzly hunting?" (I've seen a lot of threads lately with people very excited about it)

1. Meat - some people say it's gross. Others say it's taste as good or better than black bear. So if it's not meat, then...?

2. Predator control in an effort to assist ungulate populations - see above. If not that, then...?

3. Pelts - most of us don't wear grizzly skins but I guess several people have rugs. Or have them hung, in some instances. This is something that I would refer to as a "trophy" reason for hunting.

4. It's just cool - shooting a big bear is basically an assertion of dominance over nature. This would also be "trophy" reasoning, to my mind.

5. Revenge - see "The Revenant".

For the people that don't eat the meat, I'm guessing it's mostly #2 with side benefits of 3 & 4, is that right? And then I'm guessing there are several people whose main reasons are either 3 or 4, but figure that #2 justifies that. Is that fair?

I'm also guessing that #5 doesn't apply to many of us.

I'm seriously not judging any of those reasons - It's legal and that's all there is to it. I'm trying to decide if I might hunt black bear this spring, myself. I just want to better understand reasoning for the grizz hunt.
    Why would someone want to fish? They could just buy that meat in a store for cheaper.

Mr silver: i also listened to that podcast and perhaps heard it differently, as in i thought the bio was saying that bears do account for quite a few dead elk calves.

Regardless, i feel yellowstone and other national parks should not be looked at as nature in its natural state, as humans do not hunt these animals. North america has been a hunting ground for humans for at least 15,000 years, this is the natural state.

Food for thought?