Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Spring Bear Meat

Re: Spring Bear Meat

Quote Originally Posted by kevan View Post
    Check your Bear carefully for worms.
    The last two I got were literally crawling, even the COs hadn't seen anything like it.
    I had no problem getting the tags refunded..
    I have never shot a bear with worms but should this, what is the protocol? Call a CO and wait for them to come check out your bear? Or did you take it with worms to them for inspection? How'd you go about getting your tag refunded in these two cases.

quote.Call a CO and wait for them to come check out your bear?

NO C.O would waste his/their time checking out a wormed up bear.Cut out the pocket of worms then decide what your going to do with it.I know the last one my son shot that had a neck full of tape worms didn't end up on my dinner plate

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

A spring mountain grass and berry bear tastes no different than a fall mountain grass and berry bear. The best eating are the 3 to 5 year old boars. The larger boars around here chase the younger bears away from the streams. That pushes the younger bears up the mountain for the grass. Watch the bear for a bit to see if it has cubs. Mothers tend to look around a lot. Boars just eat. I stopped shooting deer because bear tastes better.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

The Worms idea has me some what on the fence about hunting bear, I now its totally irrational because I eat salmon and its full of them....

Hey Tigrr- Are the bears in the cariboo wormy?

Taken lots of Black Bear and never had a wormy one yet.

Pumped to get out and shoot my first bear

Great thread ! I also wondered about which is better table fair, spring or fall bear ? More guy's care to comment . I know bears can travel far and wide but I would prefer one that is harvested off the beaten path.
    Arctic Lake

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I like a spring bear, usually im out of sausage from the winter. I always do a batch of pepperonies, and a batch of chedder smokies. I always bone the bear out and only take in nice clean meat. Ive tried bear as cuts of meat, found it to be too tough, and it was backstraps!! Sausage is the best answer, as well as burger! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Sausages are the way to go with bear. Usually the butcher adds pork fat which is fine. I don't worry about worms since I get smokies which are cooked during the curing process. Okay now I'm hungry. Can't wait for April 1.

I don't worry about trichinosis or worms. Trichinosis is very common and most bears have tape worms. Sometimes you can see worms hanging out their rear and most poops if you look you can see worm segments. Even if you cannot see worms, you have to assume the meat is full of eggs/cysts/larva. Just cook it and it's fine. I always laugh when people talk about getting bear tested for trichinosis. Why? Because even if it tests negative, you still need to cook it up to temp because trichinosis is only one of many nasties.

Not sure what I would do if the meat was visibly crawling... never encountered that. If the bear seemed healthy otherwise I would probably grind it... but I am guessing a bear with that kind of parasite load has other health problems.