Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Bear Meat

Spring Bear Meat

Hey guys!

Thanks to Dru's post reminding me Bear season will be here before i can bat an eyelash, im curious, what dp you guys usually do with hour bear meat??

sausages, hams, peperoni?

assuming you dont, but do you have to cut it with pork for burger etc?

Just looking for some tips on what guys do incase i happen to connect on a bear!

thanks again!
    ~Wes

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Bear Meat

my main are cheese smokies and peperoni.
    most recipes call for up to 30% pork fat, if i recall right m butcher said he does 20%?
    ive done my own burger and use about 20-30% fat in it, if its a smaller bear ill eat some as is. steak or something., big guys are just to tough for me to eat as is.

I grind most of it 4:1 meat to pork fat. Keep shanks to slow cooker in beer, stock and seasonings. I also have smoked the hams, turned out like pastrami.
    Sausage was good too, add a bit more fat, some red wine, salt, garlic, pepper and savory, great for any meal.

Mostly burger with some pork cut into it. Not a fan of bear hams etc.

Bear jerky is always good
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I shot a nice little black bear last spring , cut it like anything else but the steaks were small so ended up using most of them for stew . Only cut roasts from the hind quarters . Made a lot of burger . Wish I would have made more into stew or stir fry .

Good thread as Im planning on shooting my first bear this season. I normally cut my own meat but think I will use a butcher to make pepperoni ect, who is the best on the Island, & what are the costs involved? How about the hide what do you guys & girls do once its skinned out, just salt and store?
    what are the costs involved in having it tanned or made into a rug with the head?

50% of my bear is in tied roasts for slow cooking. The rest is made into burger. No extra anything is added except veg oil for frying. BBQ'ing patties we add onions and bbq sauce. I like extra lean meat. Never made sausage due to stupid prices for casing and such.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

The bear I shot last fall was the best tasting bear I've ever had, though spring bear can taste great as well...the meat I got off one of my buddy's spring bears we made pure ground out of it, no pork, and it was surprisingly very good, made great bear tacos....my fall bear I butchered with a very good butcher friend of mine, we made bear onion sausage with 40% pork, and bear smokies with 25% pork, both taste tremendous...

Cut and wrap like all other game. Ribs up = burger, ribs down = steaks and roasts.
    Don't add squat. If I'm making sausage I add regular beef not pork. I like that taste better.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!