Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Spring Bear Meat

Re: Spring Bear Meat

Thinking of getting after spring bear ( region 5). Does the size/age of the bear impact table quality much? If I get a nice rug will I have to make a couple hundred pounds of spiced sausage out of the anamal? When are they the best eating late spring or earlyer?

Thanks

sorry if this is a hijack but I too am thinking of bear hunting and having never taken it seriously (always bought a tag but never hunted them)...like you, I have wondered a few things without checking yet...like you, I wonder, if anyone would shoot a sow and an older cub to get better table fair or is that unacceptable? do you have to keep the fur if you only want meat? is the fur better in a spring bear or in a fall bear?

lots to learn before getting out to blast one

Regulations state you cannot shoot any bear or bear in the company of a bear that is less then two years old. Not entirely sure how to tell it is older then two, but usually safest to ensure its a bigger old Boar if possible, larger blocky head etc, cant comment on the taste, sure someone can chime in?
    ~Wes

Check your Bear carefully for worms.
    The last two I got were literally crawling, even the COs hadn't seen anything like it.
    I had no problem getting the tags refunded..
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

Generally any bear alone is older than 2. Mom gives them the boot around 2. Look for the distance between the ears, more space the older the bear. If on the side look for light under the belly. But be mindful of hills, they can affect the judgement. If you can take your time. A bear in the spring isn't going farm they are eating machines. A few minutes of your time will teach you lots. For me the best table-fare is a bear between 5 1/2' and 6' Any smaller and it's just as much work as a larger bear, any bigger and they can be tough but not always.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevan View Post
    Check your Bear carefully for worms.
    The last two I got were literally crawling, even the COs hadn't seen anything like it.
    I had no problem getting the tags refunded..
    Once it's ground and cooked ya don't know the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    i dont mean totaly falls apart all crumbly. i dont add any egg or anything to them either. just squish to a patty n cook em up. those are the ones i find tend to fall apart some, i strip most my fatty crap off my bear meat to, so has very little of any in the grind.
    maybe just lazzyness to not add the other to help it hold..lol
    any lean meat will do that I suppose . you can add a binder when you mix it for patties such as egg, tapioca, potato starch ,Whey or soy binders as they will make it retain moisture and hold
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Once it's ground and cooked ya don't know the difference!
    Lol and more protein....

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Never made sausage due to stupid prices for casing and such.
    True but bear sausage is worth the effort. My last one was all sausages. Even so, between eating my share and giving sausages to friends, I have run out. I need a bigger bear this year

Here We Go:Bear Summer Sausage.This will work for most game.
    7 lbs Ground BEAR
    3 lbs Ground Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt
    1 Cup Ice Water
    1 Tbsp Prague Powder
    3.5 Tbsp Salt
    3 Tbsp Demerara Sugar
    1/2 Tbsp White Sugar
    2 Tbsp Black Pepper
    2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    2Tbsp minced Garlic
    2 Tbsp Onion Powder
    1.5 Tbsp Dry Mustard
    1.5 Tbsp Paprika
    1 Tbsp Marjoram
    1/4 cup + Mustard Seeds
    1 Tbsp Phos B
    Grind the two meat types together & combine adding mustard seeds while mixing
    Pour the water into a large bowl,and mix the cure(Prague Powder) and spices well into it(everything)
    Pour the mixture over the meat ,and mix vigorously
    Place sausage mix into a cold fridge and hold for 3 days.Mix well twice a day.This allows the meat to cure completely, and the spices to mix well into it. OR (I did this) Stuff the casings(I used 3 inch.Easier to stuff) & hang in a cold room for 3 days.
    Finally cook in oven at 350 till internal temp reaches 170F .Then cool it in Ice Water or Snow Bath for 20 mins.
    Hang in cold room overnight & enjoy. Cheers Mark
    Last edited by markomoose; 02-26-2017 at 10:58 AM.