Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    So here's a question for you long time bear hunters. I currently shoot 150 gr Winchester Deer Season XP bullets out of my 30-06 tikka. Is this going to explode on impact of a bear and do next to no damage? Curious because I'd like to buy something else and sight in again with those and get comfortable with whatever else I end up with if these won't retain enough to do solid damage to a black bear.
    I am not a long time bear KILLER... ..but definitely getting to be a longtime bear HUNTER! LOL
    I am shooting 180gr federal fusions. Blows though deer with a bang flop. Bang flop on my bear last spring with complete penetration without exiting. Nestled under the skin in the opposite side. Point blank as well as at 60 yrds. Not super expensive, very good performance, imo.

180 fusions are one of the few bullets my 30-06 likes....shot a round of wood a couple times and was really impressed with penetration....gonna try them for bear come April

Either bullet will be awesome, my last one was with a .243 100 gr bluebox(my rifle loves them). No animal goes far with no heart

I would think a 243 would be a little light for bear....but like you said good shot placement on the heart and down he goes

Use a caliber your good with and shwack a blackie! They are fun to hunt and are good eating

I think I'll be giving my single shot 45/70 a try this year, open sights and close range should do the job

^^^^^thats sounds pretty exciting...thats one gun I have yet to shoot but will be come spring...friend of mine has one and I'm excited for that visit.

Those are cool, get a video and post it up!!! Haha thanks for all the tips guys!
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    So here's a question for you long time bear hunters. I currently shoot 150 gr Winchester Deer Season XP bullets out of my 30-06 tikka. Is this going to explode on impact of a bear and do next to no damage? Curious because I'd like to buy something else and sight in again with those and get comfortable with whatever else I end up with if these won't retain enough to do solid damage to a black bear.
    Xeno mentioned some good rounds. I have shot the Remington corelokt 150gr and they seem similar to the Winchester Powerpoint.

I have also used the Winchester Deer Season cartridges... ExtemePoint I believe. I am not a ballistics expert, but they seem like they might expand and lose energy more quickly... not sure I would use them on a bear.

The 150gr powerpoint has been all bang-flop for me so far. I haven't tried 180gr. I don't think it is necessary for blackies... hasn't been for me... mind you I have only shot 250-300lb bears.

This thread is getting me excited for spring!! Now I'm craving sneaking around cutblocks with the old model 94.