Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Good job Caddis, how much meat off that one??

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Good job Caddis, how much meat off that one??
    We don't have a scale at home, but I would guess 100-120 but I could be off. Either way it filled up our freezer more than previous bears and we still have about 10lbs from last year... lots of beargers, bearitos, tacos, chilli and hambearger helper in our foreseeable future.

I went gutless this time instead of boneless. Outside in rather than inside out resulted in more fat (and this guy had a ton of fat for such a long winter) ... so lots more trimming.

Not sure if I will get another tag this spring but might help caddisgirl or my brother get one.

I like the tree snapping detail. I think this is typical of dominant boars?

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    I like the tree snapping detail. I think this is typical of dominant boars?
    In the spring, these kind of markings are usually from boars advertising themselves for mating purposes. Though there is likely a competitive / dominance element, I think any boar will make these kind of markings out of hope... just like deer and rubs... not every rub is made by the dominant buck.

Sows do this too but more in the fall and I think it's related to marking den territory... not 100% on that.

When I see broken saplings in the Spring, it is always near a good feeding area and it always means I have a boar very close.

In order of promising sign, freshly broken saplings are top next to seeing or smelling the bear. The order I look for them for is grass, nipped grass, scat, broken saplings.

Even old broken saplings are promising so that helps for scouting new spots pre-season even before the grass comes. There is always a reason the bear marked it and he will be back in the spring, if not another boar will for the exact same reason.

If you find a sapling so fresh you smell it before you see it, still oozing juice (especially if you know it wasn't there several hours ago) it is probable you are about to find a boar. This is what got me excited and the only reason I went back to check a noise that could have been a branch falling or the sow with her cub(s), a deer, etc.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-15-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Congratulations! Great write up as well. Appreciate the details for us new hunters. You sure seem to keep calm around all these bears.. Hearing that sound constantly would scare the crap out of me lol

Attago, I knew it would get done with a little prodding ) all in fun
    Having a pocket rocket at lunch was the key maybe

It was a lucky eastwood type shot I guess.
    Going wild west is good if it means less tracking, the more holes the better.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Good job caddis.

I'm heading out this may long for a 5 day camping/hunting trip! Taking your tips and advice with me.
    Weatherby 300win mag
    Marlin 1895 45-70
    SIG Sauer 1911

Same here lakeside camping and hunting all weekend boss is letting me go at 12 friday

Nice bear! Heading out this weekend, if any roads are open where we want to go. Didn't see any shooters where it was legal to shoot, but we did find a big flock of turkey vultures. That was the first time I have ever seen one in the forest - big birds! Still lots of snow in the hills around Kamloops. Maybe the warm weather this weekend will push some grass at the higher elevations...

Well around 100 lbs of meat off a blackie is great, congrats Caddis...