Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Just for back from a pretty good trip.

First morning we walked into our spot... thinking about the cinnamon I saw last week... hopeful... we ran into one of our spring blacktail friends. It was just standing there 3 yards away and didn't care at all. The deer in our area have accepted us to the point we probably couldnt spook them if we tried. Thought this was a bad sign though... deer hanging around in a bear feeding place, so there sure as heck won't be a bear standing right there, right? Well, we'll walk over to a log and have a sit anyway. We walk a little closer to where we want to sit... BEAR ! It's a decent one, guessing 300lbs or so. It's about 15-20 yards away, and I could have taken a poke at it through an opening in the brush with a standing shot, but 1) I want to have a better look and make sure its not a sow with cubs and 2) I want caddisgirl to shoot it and need to get her in a better position to set up the shooting stick. It's a gamble, as the bear seems to be wandering out of the feeding area towards the thick crap. We work our way around towards the bear and sure enough blackie has left the building.

We sat on our log for a bit, then I decide I would leave caddisgirl, maybe trick the bear into coming back out (still not sure if it busted us or we just had bad timing)

I went for a walk, maybe 500M or so. I ran into some more of our pet blacktails... a buck, a doe and a yearling fawn. I wave, I whistle, I "meh" and just keep walking. I don't stop and they start following along side me. What the heck is happening? I walk another 200M or so with my herd and stop by a creek. I sit down and light up a smoke. They all stand 10 yards away just starring. I don't really know how much these deer have going on upstairs but I start to wonder if they actually comprehend we are hunting the fawn killers... or maybe after all my failed attempts hunting them in the fall, they just find me to be good entertainment.

I head back to caddisgirl leaving my BT's behind while they stare. Nothing came of that bear, so we decided to recharge and cover some ground in the late morning and early afternoon.

We pass by our BT's, again... now there's a 4th one, wave, whistle... wait no, sit, stay! Lol ... we make our way up to another spot a 2-3kms away. It's getting super hot and we have yet to layer down. Getting towards a spot we use as a lookout point, we have no hope of seeing a bear... just going through the motions... and then crap, another bear! This one is about 12-15 yards away. It's a small bear. I would be surprised if it was 200lbs soaking wet. Still, I want caddisgirl to shoot it. Problem is we are busted, it's looking right at us and only quartering slightly toward us. It is also behind a bit of brush. I am waiting for caddisgirl and look over at her. She wants me to shoot it. I put my rifle up, but between the brush, the angle, my heart pumping, my naturally shaky hands and the scope magnification a little higher than normal, I am all over the map and procrastinating. The bear books it up a few yards. caddisgirl hands me her shooting stick. I have this bear in my scope as he wanders up the mountain. I am thinking of putting one in his upper back, but it still didn't feel right... watched him for several mins until he vanished up in the mountain.

That's about it. We ran into our BT's a few more times, saw about 15 different deer, some grouse. Lots of eaten grass and found one giant pile of scat.

Will check it out again next weekend and hopefully put one in the freezer. First and foremost, I want caddisgirl to get every opportunity at her first big game animal. I'm ok with missing a season. I know where to find them in the fall too. Still lots of time though
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Great story caddis. You guys are in the bush a lot, won't be any issues sealing the deal before the season ends. Glad to see the ability to practice restraint and wait for the good shot, even better waiting for your girl to fill her tag first.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Just for back from a pretty good trip.

First morning we walked into our spot... thinking about the cinnamon I saw last week... hopeful... we ran into one of our spring blacktail friends. It was just standing there 3 yards away and didn't care at all. The deer in our area have accepted us to the point we probably couldnt spook them if we tried. Thought this was a bad sign though... deer hanging around in a bear feeding place, so there sure as heck won't be a bear standing right there, right? Well, we'll walk over to a log and have a sit anyway. We walk a little closer to where we want to sit... BEAR ! It's a decent one, guessing 300lbs or so. It's about 15-20 yards away, and I could have taken a poke at it through an opening in the brush with a standing shot, but 1) I want to have a better look and make sure its not a sow with cubs and 2) I want caddisgirl to shoot it and need to get her in a better position to set up the shooting stick. It's a gamble, as the bear seems to be wandering out of the feeding area towards the thick crap. We work our way around towards the bear and sure enough blackie has left the building.

We sat on our log for a bit, then I decide I would leave caddisgirl, maybe trick the bear into coming back out (still not sure if it busted us or we just had bad timing)

I went for a walk, maybe 500M or so. I ran into some more of our pet blacktails... a buck, a doe and a yearling fawn. I wave, I whistle, I "meh" and just keep walking. I don't stop and they start following along side me. What the heck is happening? I walk another 200M or so with my herd and stop by a creek. I sit down and light up a smoke. They all stand 10 yards away just starring. I don't really know how much these deer have going on upstairs but I start to wonder if they actually comprehend we are hunting the fawn killers... or maybe after all my failed attempts hunting them in the fall, they just find me to be good entertainment.

I head back to caddisgirl leaving my BT's behind while they stare. Nothing came of that bear, so we decided to recharge and cover some ground in the late morning and early afternoon.

We pass by our BT's, again... now there's a 4th one, wave, whistle... wait no, sit, stay! Lol ... we make our way up to another spot a 2-3kms away. It's getting super hot and we have yet to layer down. Getting towards a spot we use as a lookout point, we have no hope of seeing a bear... just going through the motions... and then crap, another bear! This one is about 12-15 yards away. It's a small bear. I would be surprised if it was 200lbs soaking wet. Still, I want caddisgirl to shoot it. Problem is we are busted, it's looking right at us and only quartering slightly toward us. It is also behind a bit of brush. I am waiting for caddisgirl and look over at her. She wants me to shoot it. I put my rifle up, but between the brush, the angle, my heart pumping, my naturally shaky hands and the scope magnification a little higher than normal, I am all over the map and procrastinating. The bear books it up a few yards. caddisgirl hands me her shooting stick. I have this bear in my scope as he wanders up the mountain. I am thinking of putting one in his upper back, but it still didn't feel right... watched him for several mins until he vanished up in the mountain.

That's about it. We ran into our BT's a few more times, saw about 15 different deer, some grouse. Lots of eaten grass and found one giant pile of scat.

Will check it out again next weekend and hopefully put one in the freezer. First and foremost, I want caddisgirl to get every opportunity at her first big game animal. I'm ok with missing a season. I know where to find them in the fall too. Still lots of time though

Good stuff caddis.

Mine started off at 3 in the morning, 2 hour drive. Took a buddy with me for his first spring bear aswell as mine. I mapped everywhere we went. Drove probably 30 km of FS roads. We saw plenty of deer and a couple moose which he was stoked about lol.

We saw some old bear signs but nothing fresh. We walked ridge line after ridge line. Not a bear in sight. There was lots of green everywhere just no bears.

We did stumble across a deer kill site from last night by the looks of it (blood and hair everywhere) wolves picked that deer apart. The skull had chew marks all over it.

Took some pictures of that and carried onward.

We finally saw a bear about 400 yards away. Got close to him, within a 100 yards or so. I pulled out my fawn distress call and that bear came running. I tell my buddy to get ready as I'm whaling on this call. Before he could even put his gun up and aim this bear is 20yards and foaming at the mouth lol. I'm whispering shoot, shoot, shoot...BANG...sends the 45-70 right over the bears head. The bear turned and bolted down into the thick brush.

Gone to live another day.

Now I'm home with clean underwear and a beer.

My buddy is still shaking a little bit.

Wow....2 amazing stories....nice work guys....sounds like a great weekend

BANG...sends the 45-70 right over the bears head.
    @ 20 yards ?

Reminds me of.......'you're not here for the hunting, are you?'
    I know, old joke
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hahah if my buddy misses again I'll be looking for a new hunting partner

I went out yesterday for a 2 day hunt, 10:30am I see a nice cinnamon brown bear eating the new grass and budding trees in a section of power lines. Ranged him at 537 yards, he was feeding his way back to the tree line and I would have to sprint to close the ground. Being confident I opted for the shot, having made longer shots before on steel I figured it was doable. I lines up took the shot and flat out missed......buck fever. I drove all day long and saw about 6 other bears including a sow grizzly and 2 cubs. I decided to check on that spot I missed the bear at around 7:15pm, and what do you know, there he is at 343 yards. I took the time to set up, slow the heart rate, steady the cross hairs, flick the safety, ease the trigger and let fly. By the way he ran behind some bushes I was sure he was taking his last few breaths. I packed up the gear, jumped back into my beater and went down closer to the bear. I located the spot the bear was standing when the bullet impacted( my forensics skill could easily see that it was high velocity blood spatter consistent with a magnum caliber rifle.....thanks CSI and NCIS). And 15 yards away there he was, piled up from a double lunger. A long time in the making but I couldn't have asked for a better first bear! Just under 6' and scarred up. Took me 2.5 hours to Cape it and bone it out the gutless method for the first time. Everything all said and done, packed up the beater and was ready to hit the road back home by 10:15pm. Gave one last celebratory "f**k yeah!" and made my way home, surprised the wife and was a Bourbon to celebrate.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Great stories guys, and congrats Good Old, any pics?

I was loosing light fast and needed to get moving on it but I do have a pic, I'll post it soon
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    @ 20 yards ?

Reminds me of.......'you're not here for the hunting, are you?'
    I know, old joke
    The struggle is real! Erratic close moving targets with scoped rifles can be tricky. I think when hunting with a partner I will keep mine dialed way down since 10-20 yards seems to be the average encounter. Wish we could have a do-over on both of those bears. Hind sight is of course 20/20 ... you think of what you could have done better, but then realize you aren't really psychic anyway. caddisgirl said she's pretty sure she could have shot the second bear from her angle but wasn't comfortable because I was a few yards in front of her. I wasn't near her line of fire, but apparently she doesn't want to take a chance on shooting me. I guess the love is still there!!