Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    If your goal is shear numbers, I'd agree. But if you're hunting quality and can read sign, early May is your huckleberry. The greener it gets, the more the bears spread out.
    Also its usually the boars that are up and roaming earliest. Not too early to start when the snow cover is still 50/50
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

And your locations....reg 2....scout starting now lol.....watch biological charts and readings....stick to the green and your good lol

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry14 View Post
    What do you use for a call? I wanna try that this year.
    I see rabbit in distress but any recommendations on which one?
    Cottontail or fawn distress calls work well. Make sure you have room around you to see in every direction as they can come in like a freight train in kill mode.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

We are infested with Bears in my area, If any of you guys plan on coming this way, I am more than happy to point you in the right direction. Some days last May we were seeing over 20 in a day, lots to go round and some nice color phase browns. Just no where near as big as those north VI bears.

Palmer.
    is it worth going up there mid April to look for bears?
    I can get away for the long weekend and was thinking of combining bear and turkey hunt if possible.

Most of the best spots at that time are still snow covered, Mid May is the time, unless we get a very warm March. Lots of snow here now

Spring hunt try a bear cub in distress call. Boars will come in to it but they will be hot and heavy though. Downfall is some say that a sow will put her cubs away then come and investigate, thats a downfall of any call IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Fawn call, Fawn call..

Did I say Fawn call?..
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Cottontail or fawn distress calls work well. Make sure you have room around you to see in every direction as they can come in like a freight train in kill mode.
    Last spring I went hunting for B Bear for the second year, just past Squamish.

After two days of frustration, I tried a different area and bingo!

Lots of fresh sign, only problem was, full on west coast jungle!

So frustrated with not having any success, I fool hardly blew on a distress call..

Boom, crashing through the bush, straight for me, was this area's B Bear!

Having snooped along this old spur rd for the last 15 min, I was obviously winded, the bear stopped its charge maybe 40 ft away.

With visually impenetrable vegetation on either side of this trail, I would have been forced to shoot at the noise crashing its way towards me..

Thankfully this Bear stopped short, was so glad I had my Shot Gun with slug barrel in hand..

After that encounter I set up a trail cam..

Well, what a beauty colour phased Ursus Americanus Boar!

I tried passively hunting him the rest of last spring,

to afraid to try calling again..

After having success last fall for Deer, and a year to mull it all over in my mind,

so ready to take on this challenge,(face to face) to fill my freezer, and honor this magnificent animal with a head mount and rug..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

thats something i havent done yet, that calling them in. might have to try this season.
    looks like a rush when you do get their attention.