Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Hey guys, anyone solo pack in hunt black bears on the mainland? Just curious how many trips the avearge bear might take me if im hiking in 6km one way?
    ~Wes

That's a loaded question!

Quick answer, 1 or 2..

Depends on how strong you are, the shape your in, the pack you have, terrain, etc...

More importantly, try to hunt up hill, from your starting point, as much as you can..

Also depends on whether you want the hide and head, or you down a real bruin...

As in life, what you think may happen and what actually happens are (more often then not) two different things...

Keep an opened mind to changing your goals, (plans)...

Remember, once the animal is down the real work begins...

If your out that far by yourself, lots of Adrenalin flowing, slow down, take your time..
    Last edited by Ohwildwon; 04-12-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

And learn to debone on the spot....helps huge

Been watching all the gutless/deboning method videos i could find on the youtubes, and yeah everything will generally be uphill from my starting point!!!
    ~Wes

Be prepared to do the dirty work under a headlamp. It often happens right after the sun tucks behind the mountain. It can get spooky. A couple years back we had another bear grazing around us that wouldn't go away.

Sharp knives... you want lots of sharp knives... you don't want to be taking timeouts to sharpen. Those knives with replaceable blades are priceless.

We are getting a little bit better at it. Meat was in our packs in an hour or so last time.

Physical strength well... if it was just me I would have to take two trips, but I'm a weak old man. I weigh 150 soaking wet. Evening packing 100lbs with a little uphill and a little downhill I'm hurting for days lol ... but it is that happy kind of hurting where being sore is a reminder of your successful conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    Glad we're talking harry cameltoes nothing like a fall bear bbque
    Lol I agree buddy,, just had some bear smokies yesterday from the fall one I got, I agree thems a tasty...

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Hey guys, anyone solo pack in hunt black bears on the mainland? Just curious how many trips the avearge bear might take me if im hiking in 6km one way?
    What Scotty and Ohwild said are very good tips...I packed one out 5 k last year, just did the head, back straps, and 4 quarters, since thats most of the meat on a black bear anyway...assuming you have a decent pack, make sure you cinch it as tight to the pack, therefore as close to your body as possible..this also helps cause the last thing you want is some of the meat swinging away as your packing it out...
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 04-12-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    That's a loaded question!

Quick answer, 1 or 2..

Depends on how strong you are, the shape your in, the pack you have, terrain, etc...

More importantly, try to hunt up hill, from your starting point, as much as you can..

Also depends on whether you want the hide and head, or you down a real bruin...

As in life, what you think may happen and what actually happens are (more often then not) two different things...

Keep an opened mind to changing your goals, (plans)...

Remember, once the animal is down the real work begins...

If your out that far by yourself, lots of Adrenalin flowing, slow down, take your time..
    i really like this advice. Especially about just stopping and taking a couple minutes to gather yourself up. Super important.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Heading out now... wish us luck!!

Good luck caddis I'm out tomorrow and Sunday