Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Getting pretty exited for bears. I was thinking of using 150gr np in the .30-06. What's everyones preferred shot placement?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    Getting pretty exited for bears. I was thinking of using 150gr np in the .30-06. What's everyones preferred shot placement?
    I'm shooting 165gr in my 30-06, drive it center of mass, right behind the front leg.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

I'm using 180s in my 300wsm when I'm not trying my luck with the bow. Boiler house for both.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

I use 150gr 30-06 bears too. We shoot from super close (7-15 yards) so headshot has been done. Lung shot is best though. If you are low you get the heart, if you're high you get the spine, too far forward you miss... all you have to do is not shoot too far back. Our last lung shot was a freak. It took out both lungs and severed the spine completely. Not even sure how that came about, but that bear went no-where.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I use 150gr 30-06 bears too. We shoot from super close (7-15 yards) so headshot has been done. Lung shot is best though. If you are low you get the heart, if you're high you get the spine, too far forward you miss... all you have to do is not shoot too far back. Our last lung shot was a freak. It took out both lungs and severed the spine completely. Not even sure how that came about, but that bear went no-where.
    Now that is the fun way to hunt black bear.At that range you should try a shotgun or bow for something different.

Nothing like close range hunting basicly what fuels my addiction

I shoot 180's out of my 30-06...just what the gun likes

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    WhAt are you all going to do with A skinny spring bear. Tan the hide yourself. Not. Take 2 every fall and eat it now your doing your part
    You'd be surprised, you can get a decent amount of good meat off a spring bear..

12 gauge slugs this year until I can get my rare 7.62 soft points

There is nothing like a fall bear ,clover and Berry fed spring bears are for hides. Don't fool your self. There is meat on a spring bear but the real meat is on a fall bear

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Now that is the fun way to hunt black bear.At that range you should try a shotgun or bow for something different.

Nothing like close range hunting basicly what fuels my addiction
    I actually want to try spot and stalk... see a bear in the alpine and close the gap. I know a guy who might take me somewhere to do that.

Sniffing out a bear and seeing him appear up close is neat. You don't get to pick and choose though and make sure your rifle is reliable.