Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Getting ready for bear in reg 3. Going remote to keep away from garbage bears. I saw lots of sows and cubs last year. Watched 1 sow for almost 20 minutes before her cubs appeared. Glad I didn't hurry the shot. Got some great video. I will be sleeping in and hunting the noon-dusk times as I didn't see many bears in the am.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    You could hunt bear by yourself, why not? Just watch a couple vids on the gutless method and you're golden. No need to drag an entire bear carcass back, just quarter it up, take the straps and loins and you're good to go. Last bear kill I was in on we did that and had it broken down in 30 minutes. Way easier to pack out that way too.
    This is very true....black bears have the majority of their meat on the 4 quarters, straps and loins, so why wouldn't ya...

I gutted and dragged one out two years ago. 180 yards uphill 2 year old slash. Two huge dudes one either end of a branch bear hanging in the middle......... I will never do this again

I know much of the province is under heavy snow loads, this can lead to excellent hunting conditions. As the snow is late to melt up in higher country the bears get stacked up along a certain elevation. I remember in 2006 it was like this and I was working in the whitesail mountains, never seen so many bears. Blacks and grizz.

Grabbed my licenses from WSS last night! Just over a week away! How many guys are getting out that first weekend? Hope to see lots of posts of bears down in this thread!
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Grabbed my licenses from WSS last night! Just over a week away! How many guys are getting out that first weekend? Hope to see lots of posts of bears down in this thread!
    Probably won't see many guys out early. Bear hunting doesn't seem to pick up until may. But having said that, my wife doesn't know April is slow so I'll be out probably second weekend.

Going to go hang some trail cams, start the process..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    From someone who has ran out opening day many times in the past if it is about getting a bear don't go if it's an excuse to get out in the bush have at it

i have found after the first week in May is when things get going good for bears. I will carry a gun/bow if getting firewood or going fishing but no true bear hunting till May for me

Went out scouting in 3-26 area, around 1000-1200 m elevation. Still list of snow, but south facing hillsides clearing off. Mucky as all F, until got on ice and then it was solid. Forecast is for 12 degrees and rain for a few days, will check it out again next week. Saw a monster boar last year in the area I cruised, really want him.

Once turkey season is over, one way or another, I'll be looking for a black bear. Probably do a day trip or two then my hunting partner and I will head out for our Victoria Day long weekend hunt. We've been backpacking into an area closed to vehicle travel. We pack about 4-4.5km into a camp we set up 5 years ago. Just a fire ring, a pile of firewood, a perfectly positioned food hanging tree, and a creek only about 100m away. South facing cuts and openings everywhere. Took my first black bear up there 4 years ago, got to about 40m and my 25-06 did it's part. We've had a little bit of everything right in camp; elk and mule deer while we eating breakfast, rutting blue grouse thrumming(or whatever it is they call that subsonic humming sound they make) like mad, black bear before supper. Strolling back into camp after glassing for a few hours, not really paying attention come around the last bend top a little rise where we get our first glimpse of camp and if there isn't a bear sauntering along just 30m on the other side of our camp. Need less to say he moved faster then we did, but still it let us know we were in the right place.