Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Hi All,

This will also be my first year bear hunting and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on field prep and storage for the hide? How long till you need to get it to a taxi?

Thanks!

call and ask the place that will do the work to start with. find out how he wants the animal skinned for what sort of mount you`d want.
    just skin it and fold it skin side in. leave the head out as it takes longest to thaw out. and do not salt it prior to freezing it if you need to freeze it

Why not salt it before freezing? I salted both if my bears, froze them then dropped off at taxi and tannery. They didn't say anything about it. I froze them because I didn't drop off right away
    Last edited by ekul246; 02-22-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Why not salt it before freezing? I salted both if my bears, froze them then dropped off at taxi and tannery. They didn't say anything about it
    here is a link to some salting do's and don'ts...I have no first hand experience so I can not comment but I hope there is something helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Why not salt it before freezing? I salted both if my bears, froze them then dropped off at taxi and tannery. They didn't say anything about it. I drive then because I didn't drop off right away
    salting slows or prevents the freezing fully, can cause slipage down the road. told by many taxidermy shops is how they want it, some do say salt it. but the no salt and slows freezing make more logical sence to me. and is how ive stored mine and always been fine

and again. call and ask the taxidermy shop that would be doing the work, some have their own ways to do things and may effect warantee if your not happy or it does slip down the road. the shops that take them salted and dont say anything may use that as an excuse if it did slip, then your hooped.
    the call is free. the loss of a mount or rug isnt lol

It's either the Mid range cotton or the pip squeak coaxer. I also bought bought a quiver critter rabbit decoy but haven't taken it out yet

Never heard of or thought about calling in a bear. Sounds fun.

Came me from Alberta where bear baiting is the norm. Everything seems opposite here. No baiting bears but legal for other game.

getting excited for spring now.

Great thread!
    hows the table quality on spring bears? Are the older/larger bears still good to eat?
    And do processors take bear meat? And whats the best use for the meat?
    Thansk

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    Great thread!
    hows the table quality on spring bears? Are the older/larger bears still good to eat?
    And do processors take bear meat? And whats the best use for the meat?
    Thansk

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ring-Bear-Meat