Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

ya I thought so too. I just made the call. I know they live behind us which is fine... didn't want to call it in before as COs have enough on their plate. But this needs to be addressed before we have an incident.

Fresh piles of scat nearby say he is residing nearby.

Kids aren't allowed behind the house or in the neighbourhood tree fort area across street.

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    ya I thought so too. I just made the call. I know they live behind us which is fine... didn't want to call it in before as COs have enough on their plate. But this needs to be addressed before we have an incident.

Fresh piles of scat nearby say he is residing nearby.

Kids aren't allowed behind the house or in the neighbourhood tree fort area across street.
    Well done. CO's are busy for sure, but evaluating a situation like what you described is a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I wasn't there to see it first hand, but reading that gives me some chills. I would monitor the situation closely and keep the kids on a tight leash. I would also remove any attractants such as the bird feeder and ask neighbors to do so and see if it moves on. If not, I might consider reporting it to the CO's. A habituated bear that is indifferent (or worse attracted) to humans and only runs a few yards when threatened is a problem bear.
    ya that was unnerving as my 4 yr old wanted to race and run ahead but I got the no feeling so I stayed with him. my wife had our dog on leash at the back of the pack out of sight and the apparently the dog started acting strange. when my wife let the dog go she came running, a little late as bear was gone, but happy she ran towards and not away!

Just spoke with CO.. they said expensive lesson to learn re wrapper and jeep. they have had reports of bear in the area, seems they are leaning towards human fault for attractants. which I do agree with it was a mistake on our part and as a community we need to contain food sources. I thought this bears behaviour was becoming problematic but COS cannot go around destroying or relocating every time someone leaves garbage out I guess.

I agree with not bugging COs about bears unless needed. In your case it sounds like a problem bear in an area only COs can deal with it

I personally have bear on my property often but they behave so I let them stay. In my case I am in an area I can shoot if needed

Agreed we don't want CO's to have to deal with bears whenever it can be avoided. Definitely take down bird feeders or any other attractants.

The issues with this bear have developed far beyond (and unlikely a result of) hitting a bird feeder or two, but you don't want any fingers pointed or fines for attractants.

Well just got in from a bear hunt up in Harrison area....well a little bit away but will say Harrison....did everything right....wind in face lots of glassing tons of Hikeing and logging road slow drives....searched valley bottom and then moved up into alpine then slowly made my way along alpine creeping back down in the valley bottom....sat at a couple swamp skunk cabbage areas and tried some calling...nothing...well saw a tiny ass end of one split...wouldnt have shot that little guy if he was right in front of my...hell my dog is heavier lol....but none the less awesome day..found some new spots and was nice to get out...its the first time in almost a month due to back surgery....some days you do everything right and they just don't show up....hunting...not killing I know lol....still better then mowing the lawn;p

Missed on a nice chocolate color phase yesterday in one of my spots. Stalked him in from 400 yards to 80 yards and just as I was ready the wind changed and he was gone. It was painful to see him go.

Next time!

Me and caddisgirl headed up to a local lake. We were craving some fishing time after running into a lot of closed access in March. We thought about bringing a rifle, but decided we already have our meat for the year and just decided to take binos and glass from the boat... maybe if we saw a huge boar I'd go wrestle it... jump on its back... get it in a good head lock until he tires out... give him a little hip toss with a good elbow. Lol obviously we didn't see one because I'm still alive. Great fishing though!!

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Well just got in from a bear hunt up in Harrison area....well a little bit away but will say Harrison....did everything right....wind in face lots of glassing tons of Hikeing and logging road slow drives....searched valley bottom and then moved up into alpine then slowly made my way along alpine creeping back down in the valley bottom....sat at a couple swamp skunk cabbage areas and tried some calling...nothing...well saw a tiny ass end of one split...wouldnt have shot that little guy if he was right in front of my...hell my dog is heavier lol....but none the less awesome day..found some new spots and was nice to get out...its the first time in almost a month due to back surgery....some days you do everything right and they just don't show up....hunting...not killing I know lol....still better then mowing the lawn;p
    I had the exact same day as you on Friday. Did everything by the book, saw a tiny one scamper off into the woods but didn't see anything worth connecting with! A bad day hunting is better than a good day working though.

Finally connected last night on a 6 foot plus boar.My son and I saw this bear at about 250 yards standing on a stump.We suddenly saw a second bear about the same size with him.I went staight up the cutblock and my son went up the side.We got to the top and he was all by himself laying on a landing.We watched for about ten minutes and took him when he stood up.He spun around and fell over on both shots and headed downhill into the second growth.I'm not a fan of chasing bears into the thick but we had a real good blood trail and didn't think he would go far.Never underestimate how tough these animals are!We followed him for half a kilometer through real thick bush never losing the trail.I got tangled up in some deadfall and saw a lower road.My son Scott says "Get to the road Dad I still got got blood"Suddenly he shouts out "HOLY F***" KABOOM.I Yell out to him you OK!The bear stood up as he was laying down 20 feet away.He yells back he's fine.He hit the bear in the head and it still ran another 40 feet and piled up in a ditch.It was super scary but Scott has his wits about him and the self awareness to stay focused.We both hiked back to the truck high fiving with way too much adrenaline talking a million miles a second.Please be careful out there fellow hunters as stuff can happen quickly out in the woods. Cheers Mark