Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Got out this morning and got on two bears.One was a shooter but my son and I gottta work on our communication?

Up in MacKenzie Saturday. 12 hour drive from Vancouver. Got out on the roads by Williston Lake by 6:30 pm and I never saw so many bears in my life. We got 2 within an hour. Both respectable sized boars. Went out again this morning and all the bears sleeping in. Local guy told us he drove out to count just for fun and saw 35 bears. Maybe exaggerating but there are a heck of a lot of bears out. Last weekend we were here and saw only the little guys. Get them while you can!

Update. 3 bears down.
    Now 4 bears. And we're done!
    Last edited by shortrange; 05-21-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Good job guys! Looking forward to seeing more pics and stories from the long weekend.

I left Friday morning and checked out the spot where we took the bear the week prior. I thought I had left a bag with some headlamps, some expensive tweezers and flagging tape. Never did find it.

The rib cage had moved about 10 yards and the intestines were stretched out all over. I put on some rubber gloves hid everything out of sight.

I also checked in on the head (mostly skinned and trimmed) I buried it a few kms away. Nothing has dug it up yet. I buried it in one of those reusable cloth bags... not as breathable as a game bag but might not work too bad. Not sure how long this method takes but I'll probably take it out in November.

Went back to camp and spent a few hours cleaning other peoples garbage that had accumulated over the years. Still some work to do but it feels much better.

My brother and wife showed up about a half hour of hunting light. We opted not to hunt but sit around a little fire.

Slept in until around 8am the next day and it was already super hot. Went for a little walk around, then off to help my brother sight in his new gun so he can hunt in the evening. Did some target practice myself and checked to make sure the rifle was shooting straight. Its bang on at 100 yards.

This was his first time actually hunting. I bought some walkie talkies for us to use. Worked great at 1.5kms with hills and trees... quite fun lol... he ended up spooking bear that was resting in the shade on a hill side... he also watched a blacktail at 15 yards for half an hour or so. Me and caddisgirl heard a bear crashing around in to timber as well.

Not too serious about actually shooting another bear, we called it quits with an hour and a half of light left... packed up and took off the next morning. No bears shot, but still a great weekend to be out camping and relaxing.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.

For the newbies that are finding it hard to locate Bruins, the CBC has found a honey hole for you.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-why-1.4132931

Quote Originally Posted by shortrange View Post
    Up in MacKenzie Saturday. 12 hour drive from Vancouver. Got out on the roads by Williston Lake by 6:30 pm and I never saw so many bears in my life. We got 2 within an hour. Both respectable sized boars. Went out again this morning and all the bears sleeping in. Local guy told us he drove out to count just for fun and saw 35 bears. Maybe exaggerating but there are a heck of a lot of bears out. Last weekend we were here and saw only the little guys. Get them while you can!

Update. 3 bears down.
    Now 4 bears. And we're done!

Dont be to surprised about 35 bears seen in a day up north it happens lol

I am excited to try out our new bear this weekend, but a little bit nervous too. I think he had some age to him... worn canines and what not. It ended up getting super hot out and there were flies all over... luckily most of them stuck to the decoy scraps while I worked on the bear... each piece went straight into the game bag as soon as it was cut... shot 9:30-10am and not really cooled (other than throwing some ice in the rubbermaid) until 8pm or so... 2/3 went in the freezer that night and the rest went in the fridge to be trimmed and frozen the following day.

Smells ok, looks ok, feels mostly ok other than a little bit greasy. Tomorrow will be burgers and Sunday will be burritos. I am optimistic everything will be fine but I'm tad nervous at the same time... I want this spring's bounty to be good table fair. Never had less than great bear yet and hope we never do. Actually the suspense is killing me now lol
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-26-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Well 10 hrs worth of black bear hunting and have helped 3 bears go down for 3 hunters

think I might start looking for my own now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Well 10 hrs worth of black bear hunting and have helped 3 bears go down for 3 hunters

think I might start looking for my own now lol
    Stop, you are giving me that itch to go back out and look for more meat lol

I just cut some up for the grinder and caddisgirl is grinding it up now. The meat looks excellent. I don't think we are going to have any issues. Gonna eat some burgers tonight and then caddisgirl is going to make her signature bear-zucchini-mushroom burrito paste and we'll have some wicked burritos tomorrow and freeze up a bunch for lunches.

Just dropped my first bear of the season. A nice little meat bear. Not much of a story. He was feeding on the side of the road eating dandelions. One shot, bang flop. Died with dandelions still hanging out of his mouth. Already fried some up for dinner and he is tasty. Going to look for my second next weekend. Saw seven different bears this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Stop, you are giving me that itch to go back out and look for more meat lol

I just cut some up for the grinder and caddisgirl is grinding it up now. The meat looks excellent. I don't think we are going to have any issues. Gonna eat some burgers tonight and then caddisgirl is going to make her signature bear-zucchini-mushroom burrito paste and we'll have some wicked burritos tomorrow and freeze up a bunch for lunches.

BBQ bear burgers are awesome

but those burritos sound good