Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Try getting cured, smoked hams. Spring bear is ok, but the fall berry fed bear is trophy dinner material.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Question about bear meat (as I finally bought a bear tag)...

I was talking to my dad about bear and he said once when he was working burning slash a long time ago, some of the planters had got a bear and gave him a roast. He said it was the greasiest, smelliest meat that he ever had. Now this would have been fairly deep in the bush in the interior, so not a garbage bear and probably not a salmon bear. He didn't recall the time of year.

My issue is that it's not exactly inspiring. But, was it just bad luck on his part? I've read lots of posts here about it being some of the best meat available, etc.
    What Caddisguy said....all black bear meat that I've had, being all non garbage bears, has been great..

Thanks gents. Guess I'll see what I can find.

Found fresh sign this morning at ~ 1600 m. in the snow, 100% coverage, and the big guy was heading downhill. Made a loop into the top of one drainage but I couldn't cut the track again. It was 50/50 as to which creek he was heading for.
    Got to a lower area with 50% snow coverage among the trees, and found some smaller BBear sign, and one big moose track heading up higher. Deer are following the receding snow line pretty closely too.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Spotted a huge cinnamon bear region 5. Had stumps for legs and tiny ears. Stalked him to 58 yards through the aspen with my bow and waited. He fed right toward me in to 37 yards (was worried he might walk right into me) and turned broadside but had a tree between me and his vitals. Wind was perfect for 20 minutes so I figured another minute and one more step and Id let the arrow fly. Wind swirled, he put his nose up, turned around and walked away too quickly for a good shot. Big disappointment but it was my first attempt with a bow on a bear and super exciting!! I'm addicted. Mr friend had a rifle on him 50 yards away from me but still, nothing like the excitement being that close to a bear. I could hear him chomping the grass. Will try again today.

Still really brown up my way but the odd bear is starting to move. Went out fishing seen a little crap and a tiny maybe 4ft blackie. Should be good once they get moving because food is lacking

headed out for first attempt at my grizz draw next week. Springs a little farther along out that way so should be alright

With the cold weather the bears may be stacked up at the elevation where the green tapers off. I am headed out next thurs for an attempt.

Went for the first drive of the season in region 7 and spotted a nice bear 10km up the road. Still a little brown but the bears are out!

Weirdest thing I've seen lots of bears but only one pile of shit

Went ice fishing here in YT. Saw one walking the shoreline, got the 1st bear jitters and had a clean miss. Still early up here with not much green. More opportunity yet to come.