Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Great bears guys!!! Thanks for sharing! Good way to start the season out! Again congrats to you guys!
    -Backwoods

Nice set of bears. This weekend region 3 should be pretty active with bears. Expecting to get some nice weather so I'm planning a trip this weekend.

Great bears! Glad to finally see some bears down, I will be heading out again this week
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Sorry, mis-click

Any info on how region 8 is looking? Around Penticton?

Great bears by the way! Getting me all fired up!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Most of the best spots at that time are still snow covered, Mid May is the time, unless we get a very warm March. Lots of snow here now
    Hi Palmer, found first tracks out on Stewart Creek this weekend, just one small set, hardly looking like an infestation right now but they are coming, lots of shoots and buds starting to come in the sub alpine. Did find a herd of Elk by total accident though, what a thrill this early in the season, 10 cow/calf pairs sat there eating calmly (I had wind), so I broke out my pb&j sandwich and joined them for 15 minutes until the wind shifted. Hiked out through Zenios lake, still plenty of snow to go. PM me sometime we may be neighbors!

Great job on the bears there Gone Fishin....

I saw a 6+ footer in a feild in the cariboo. I had to hop over a ditch with snow in it to watch him with the binos

Question about bear meat (as I finally bought a bear tag)...

I was talking to my dad about bear and he said once when he was working burning slash a long time ago, some of the planters had got a bear and gave him a roast. He said it was the greasiest, smelliest meat that he ever had. Now this would have been fairly deep in the bush in the interior, so not a garbage bear and probably not a salmon bear. He didn't recall the time of year.

My issue is that it's not exactly inspiring. But, was it just bad luck on his part? I've read lots of posts here about it being some of the best meat available, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Question about bear meat (as I finally bought a bear tag)...

I was talking to my dad about bear and he said once when he was working burning slash a long time ago, some of the planters had got a bear and gave him a roast. He said it was the greasiest, smelliest meat that he ever had. Now this would have been fairly deep in the bush in the interior, so not a garbage bear and probably not a salmon bear. He didn't recall the time of year.

My issue is that it's not exactly inspiring. But, was it just bad luck on his part? I've read lots of posts here about it being some of the best meat available, etc.
    Sounds like bad luck, bad cooking, bad care in the field or a combination.

I do find that when we cook bigger pieces, it turns out a bit chewy but that is probably a preparation thing as well.

We always just use ground stuff for burgers, tacos, burritos, meatballs, chilli, hambearger helper, etc... we do stirfry once in a while as well.

I have only had one small piece of meat taste a little "off" (kind of fishy) but that was likely some kind of contamination while boning it out.

Other than that, we eat bear 2-4 times a week and I can't really tell the difference between bear and beef.