Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

I saw a sow and cubs at meziadin, they are starting to show in the north!

I drove and did some glassing on Terrace Mtn outside of Kelowna yesterday afternoon with my son, no bears to be seen and we were in the green (lots of it) and well below any snowline and NOTHING to be seen. We are new to bear hunting this spring so lots to learn and we will be putting more time in over the next few weeks. Anyone else on here from the Okanagan and having any luck?
    A day in the woods is better than any day in the city

Has any one seen any Bruins roamming around the Fort St James area? Also any areas to try around that area? haven't hunted down there before so just looking for any info. Thanks in advance for any info

Saw a nice sized bear Saturday on the skeena. Tags finally showed up today. Hopefully get out this weekend.

Yup 18-19 degrees this weekend where I am....yup heading out for sure this weekend

Got Friday off, I'll be out for a whirl

Anyone got their first bear? How are the conditions where you guys are hunting?

Pouring Rain.. Lol. Vernon

No poops in our spot but patches of grass look like someone took a weed whacker to it. That said, we also noticed some Blacktails eating the grass... never seen them doing that before... this is a cool story in itself... not really bear related, but I will post it here.

We were sitting in the spot we consider to be the bears kitchen and caddisgirl (who probably hears just as good as the deer's lol) alerts me to something coming out from the timber. I am thinking great... we are going to get our bear early while hardly even trying. Nope! Two Blacktails, a buck and doe come out (about 15 yards away) ... they are walking around feeding and I knew they were down wind of us... wondering how we are not busted yet and how long this will last. Now they are about 10 yards and starring right at us. OK, obviously they smell us, but they aren't sure what is going on. They are both bobbing their heads to try and see us from all angles, trying to psych us out by pretending to feed then dart their head back up. Nothing. We are both stones. They advanced forward, now about 7 yards... same routine for a few minutes and then even closer. Now up to 4 yards... holy sh*t this is wicked. The doe looks super friendly but the buck looks pissed!! The stare down continues several more minutes and a squirrel starts chirping. It draws their attention away from us. Then my stomach growls. I could only feel it but couldn't hear it. They must have, as they re-engage and start doing the head bobbing thing. A couple mins later, a plane flies by and everything kind of pauses. Afterwards the doe keeps lifting up her front leg. She wants to stomp and does this a few times but never does. She hops about 2 hops like she is going to book it, then looks back, probably to see if we react. We dont move a muscle. She goes back to feeding but the buck stays there staring at us. A few mins later (buck is still 4 yards away and doe is about 10 yards) the buck had enough. Hopped off into the treeline about 15 yards away. We watched the doe for a few more mins, then she snorts and hops off the opposite direction. We could still see the buck watching us from the treeline. We're not 100% sure, but we think he was a 3x3 we had on cam last summer... but oh man, that was so cool. I have never had such an intense and long lasting blacktail interaction. This whole ordeal lasted about 20 mins. I had to cough so bad my eyes were tearing up and one point lol
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-23-2017 at 12:34 PM.

If there is nowhere clean like a nice mossy forest floor to skin it out on, you can use a tarp on the road. Bears have a nice broad back and lay there belly up quite neatly.