Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Got my bear hunt booked for May long weekend this year!! PUMPED!!!! Just west of Huston BC baby!!!
    I see dead bear in your future lol

So are you guys thinking for this early stick to creeks river valleys south facing cuts close to rivers etc? Going out again Sunday.

Still not sure if Im going to go for bear. I found some areas last year that had bear. Really fresh green crap. lots of other scat. At the time, I was scouting the pre season for deer.

Anyways. All I have is a 270 Win. What grain and bullet type would work for bear if I chose to go...Might have a hunting partner right Wes

Thanks ahead for advice on bullet type. 2nd year hunting. And really looking forward to putting all of what I learned last year to the test this year.

Phil
    First year hunting 2016. Trips scouting/hunting 35. km driven 4500km. moose count 2 (our group got). grouse count 5

Experience gained and ready to be used for 2017...priceless.

2017 Results
    Trips out scouting 4 (2100km)
    trips hunting 1 (4200km)
    1 bison
    4 rabbits
    16 grouse

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    So are you guys thinking for this early stick to creeks river valleys south facing cuts close to rivers etc? Going out again Sunday.
    South facing areas with fresh growth whether it's by a river or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtires24 View Post
    Still not sure if Im going to go for bear. I found some areas last year that had bear. Really fresh green crap. lots of other scat. At the time, I was scouting the pre season for deer.

Anyways. All I have is a 270 Win. What grain and bullet type would work for bear if I chose to go...Might have a hunting partner right Wes

Thanks ahead for advice on bullet type. 2nd year hunting. And really looking forward to putting all of what I learned last year to the test this year.

Phil
    Your .270 is enough gun, get a 150 or 160 gr. (This is as heavy as factory loads get for .270 any heavier and you'll have to hand load them, although a 150gr under 200yd. Is plenty of lead for a BB.)

Plus you'll have my 30-06 as backup!! Stoked to get out to some spots! Just isnt greening up fast enough :P
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Plus you'll have my 30-06 as backup!! Stoked to get out to some spots! Just isnt greening up fast enough :P
    Longer it takes the better it will prevent them from spreading out and make for a better hunt

Greening up early is bad lol

Arrow Re: Spring Black Bear

Quote Originally Posted by mrtires24 View Post
    ... What grain and bullet type would work for bear if I chose to go...
    150 grain Nosler Partition. Bang - Flop.

You're Welcome
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

140grain barnes for shoulder takes pooh bear and bigger one down too..only 2 legs left after that...no go far..

For bear I will be shooting 130 gr barnes tsx with my .270, expecting a dead bear.