Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Personal Best years???

Re: Your Personal Best years???

2017 is shaping up to be the best.
    Made some significant life changes and plan to hunt a lot:
    Bears in the spring
    First stones trip in August.
    Quick alpine muley trip to start Sept.
    Rest of the month is dedicated to getting my first elk.
    Moose in Oct either LEH or up north.
    Rest of Oct and November is deer locally in region 8

I never did more than 1 big trip a year prior to this.
    Previous best would be 2010 moose leh that my father forced me to still go on while he was on his deathbed. He stuck it out long enough to listen to one last successful adventure.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Great to see pictures of some very successful seasons here. I haven't had a disappointing season in 40 years but 2007 was one of the better ones.
    <html>
    www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/2007.html

I've been very fortunate to have a lot of great years out there. '08 stands out in my mind. I finally drew a Dall Sheep tag after many years of dreaming and was very lucky to take a beautiful 12 year old ram on the 12th day hunting solo.

Then in early Oct my Dad and I took Allison on her first moose hunt and after hunting hard for 8 days we finally spotted a bull moose a mile away in a burn. We called him in and shot him at 3:00 in the afternoon 2.5 miles from the lake. We got him cut up and started walking out and arived at the lake well after dark.

We were out hunting on the Island for blacktails at the end of Oct and I caught up with this nice buck. The biggest I'd shot in 15 years.
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Y2K was particularly good to me
    -Mnt griz 8'3"
    -Book class Cali
    -best elk to date
    -Cranker Muley
    -56" Sdonk
    Pffffff, no whitetail?
    Thats some season
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Great thread there SSS...started hunting in 09', best year would be I'd say 2011...that's when I really started to apply what I enjoy to hunting - hiking and less driving...

Got a nice spring bear, my first bear, unfortunately no pics....
    then had my first experience blood trailing, on a solo hunt, after I gave a whitetail buck a neck shot, as that was all I had to aim for, from 250 yards......the way he jumped, I know I connected well, but he ran, and as whitetails do best, into the thick stuff he went..I waited a good half hour for him to lay down, then proceeded..
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Good blood for a while, then the trail stopped, and no deer, I was looking all around for more blood or a deer - nothing, then I looked up, and realized that he was heading back out into the open, so he must have doubled back, so I went back on the blood trail, looking for another trail off of the original trail, sure enough...

[IMG][/IMG]

And then I found him all piled up, which made me very happy...

[IMG][/IMG]

Later that season, I also hiked in a little ways into a cut-block, and shot this tasty muley buck on pic below....I butchered him with the help of a brother and a buddy, we took the time to butcher him very well, cut all the silver skin off etc, it was well worth it, one of the best tasting deer I've shot, and the first one I tried butchering myself (and with friends)...a very rewarding season it was with several firsts..
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 02-19-2017 at 04:35 PM.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks everyone for sharing some of the best moments of your hunting careers!
    Making memories with friends and family is really what it's all about.

2007 started off getting to participate in my first sheep transplant. Was a pretty rewarding experience!

And the spring bear season has never been better for me.
    Tracked down Beer Belly

Helped Calvin L with his nice interior grizzly

Finished off my best ever bear season by cutting my second tag

Had a great first hunt with BCrams and finished off the fall with a big bodied muley.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Hooooly That grizz is huge!

the last 3 seasons have been very memorable for me, having only hunted for 4 or 5 seasons at this point the last 3 years have been years of "firsts" for me, but if I was forced to choose I think 2015 was my "best year". Started off by helping a buddy get his first black bear in the spring but the fall was the cherry on top that year. 3 friends and I drew a shared moose LEH which meant we could shoot 2 bulls. Ended up that only my best friend and I could make it on the trip so off we went for 10 days. We had been given some intel on the area by another buddy who drew a tag with his brothers for the month before and they knocked down a good size moose so we had an idea of where to look.
    First day started out badly as we slept in till 8, dawdled around camp for an hour before driving up to the top of the mountain. First big valley we stopped at with decent sight lines, I hopped out of the truck, glassed for literally 5 seconds before seeing a big black speck on the opposite side of the valley. I looked at it for another 10 seconds before it swung its head towards us and yup, those are antlers! About 5-600 yards away. I have my best impression of a lonely cow moose and he made a beeline straight for us...with his younger brother in tow. 10 minutes later moose #1 stepped out of some pines 15 yards ahead of me broadside and down he went.

Meanwhile my buddy circled behind me, cut little brother off about 100 yards down the valley and 5 minutes after moose 1 was down, moose 2 was down and dead too. Spent the rest of the day dealing with moose, the next day doing nothing, and home the day after.

Moose 1

Moose 2

Growing up in a non hunting family I've been lucky to get into it (being a meat eater) in the last 5 years. First year was tag soup, second year was my first big game animal and my third year, 2015, was a 4 point mulie and an elk. I hope to be able to pinpoint a specific year in the future but every year I get out it's been exciting. Here's a few pics from 2015:

Quote Originally Posted by nazarow View Post
    Growing up in a non hunting family I've been lucky to get into it (being a meat eater) in the last 5 years. First year was tag soup, second year was my first big game animal and my third year, 2015, was a 4 point mulie and an elk. I hope to be able to pinpoint a specific year in the future but every year I get out it's been exciting. Here's a few pics from 2015:

That's a beauty bull, any story to go along with that?