Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on hunting pants

Question Advice on hunting pants

Hello there

I've always been a cotton jeans in the bush type of guy and as I grow older and experience the outdoors more I see there has to be better alternatives out there. Every time I've been out with jeans I've notice if you get a heavy sweat on or get the pants just a tad wet from morning dew on tall grass your day just becomes much more uncomfortable than it needed to be… or maybe I just need to man up a bit

Steeper prices then jeans don't concern me much Ben Franklin got it right we he said “the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” But Is there durable, reliable pants that will last years below 150-200$ mark?

What are some better hiking pants out there? I've heard great things about First Lite and Fjällräven. And what about light, durable pants for spring bear and summer shed hunting? Being located in the interior, rain isn't as big of an issue as the coast but would waterproof/resistance be a good investment?
    Fishing makes us less hostages to the horrors of making a living. It is a time warp we may step into for a little peace

-Jim Harrison

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice on hunting pants

90% Sitka pants are great. If you can find a deal. I got mine off camo fire for $125 us

I use Prana Zion pants for hiking and have started using them for hunting as well. I highly recommend them. And they are cheap compared to the hunting brand stuff.

I like my Sitka timberline pant. Way better than cheapo suff

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    90% Sitka pants are great. If you can find a deal. I got mine off camo fire for $125 us
    Just check out that site. Crazy prices on there

A buddy gave me some KUIU pants that didn't fit him and I've got to say I probably wont be buying cheapo camo gear again. Best pants I've owned, comfortable breathable and durable.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

I've got a pair of first -lite kanab and sitka ascent. I love them both but before I splurged on the first lite I was running a pair of 50$ wind river pants that zip off at the knee that I love and still wear when I don't want to wear my camo on day hikes and such. I have put them through a bunch of goat trips as well definitely better quality than their price would lead you to believe.

KUIU guides..... ill never go in the bush without them.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    I've got a pair of first -lite kanab and sitka ascent. I love them both but before I splurged on the first lite I was running a pair of 50$ wind river pants that zip off at the knee that I love and still wear when I don't want to wear my camo on day hikes and such. I have put them through a bunch of goat trips as well definitely better quality than their price would lead you to believe.
    I agree that you can find good gear without paying a fortune for it. I have tried many types from army surplus wool to expensive hunting purpose gear and it is simply a matter of the conditions you are most likely to experience and personal preference. I used to buy a light hiking pant from Valhalla that I would wash in Nikwax to help repel water. Not a substitute for full-on raingear but comfy and reasonably priced. My son recently got me a pair of UnderArmour lightweight hiking(hunting) pants and they are great as well.

Check out Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. Light, good stretch, quiet, nice size packets and with merino base layer they work well in late season. They go on sale often.
    The World is run by those that show up.