Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thread

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

Hmm
    Bears are not dead till eyes are open..
    Steam exiting holes is steady not puffs..
    Use binos.watch for signs of respiration. .
    15 minute cool down time watching carcass..movement.
    Wind will make or break your hunt or stalk..
    Thermals happen everyday..be aware..
    Noise is not as important as movement. Of course jiggling keys in pocket is different huh Tom?..lol
    Unless attacked 70 ish yards minimum for shot..150..170 yards max. This is a top predator not a target..
    Know before you go what constitutes a trophy..ie 7 foot well haired male..and how to tell big from small..Boyz from girl. .
    Cheers
    Srupp

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Don't worry so much about the gun/caliber. They all kill. Best tip I can offer is putting in the time. Book at least a week off work or try to hunt every weekend of the season. Cover lots of ground at first using boots, ATV or truck and then concentrate where the sign is. Make sure you have salt for prepping your hide. Watch a few bear skinning videos. If you have a good partner, take him/her. If not, go alone. I am at my best while alone. Most of all, have fun and take lots of pics. Spring in the mountains is awesome!!
    I.definitely.agree,springtime.in.the.mountains.is. awesome...unfortunately,I.can.only.put.in.so.much. time.with.family.and.work.commitments...

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm
    Bears are not dead till eyes are open..
    Steam exiting holes is steady not puffs..
    Use binos.watch for signs of respiration. .
    15 minute cool down time watching carcass..movement.
    Wind will make or break your hunt or stalk..
    Thermals happen everyday..be aware..
    Noise is not as important as movement. Of course jiggling keys in pocket is different huh Tom?..lol
    Unless attacked 70 ish yards minimum for shot..150..170 yards max. This is a top predator not a target..
    Know before you go what constitutes a trophy..ie 7 foot well haired male..and how to tell big from small..Boyz from girl. .
    Cheers
    Srupp
    All.great.advice,thanks.again....

Completely unrelated, but hitting the enter key before you start typing a response to a quote negates the need for periods after each word...

Carry on.

Will second how important wind/thermals is grizz hunting.

Swirling mountain winds screwed me over many times. Even had grizz bust at 300yards from bad wind

Slides are where I would focuse your effort. They seem to return to the same slide daily as long as you don't push them out. If you locate a big bore in a slide and wind is bad pass on the stalk unless you can approach from a direction the wind is in your favour.

Make the first shot count and give him time before recovery. Don't track a hit bear in the dark better off to wait for daylight. Dead bears don't cause problems wounded ones do

Good luck

^^^^^thanks, sounds like good advice...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Completely unrelated, but hitting the enter key before you start typing a response to a quote negates the need for periods after each word...

Carry on.
    lol thanks, for some reason from my computer it does that, from I pad not...

Hmmm slides are great..however don't overlook cut blocks. .they have greens early..bear food.
    Srupp

Hi guys,

I've been reading with interest as I also pulled a tag this year - in 3-43. Not the best I know, but I look forward to a week in God's Country regardless. Any tips would be very helpful as this is only my second season hunting. I took 2 mulies, a WT and passed on several black bears this last year.

I will be carrying a .325 WSM and will likely use 180 grain TSX. I had considered 200's, but I don't want to encroach on case space. I could also load some 200 grain Woodleigh Weldcores.

I am open to any wisdom you may have to pass along.

Cheers

180gr TSX from the 325 will dig plenty deep. Good luck
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004