Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thread

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Give your barrel a really good cleaning before switching over to a solid copper bullet.

I picked up some Wipe Out so swing over if you like.
    I got some, thanks though buddy...

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

Lots of grizzly suitable 30-06 factory loads on the market

Barnes VorTx 168gr & 180gr TTSX
    Federal Premium 180gr Nosler Partition
    Federal P 165gr & 180gr Trophy Copper
    Federal P 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip
    Nosler 168gr eTip
    Nosler 180gr Accubond
    Hornady Superfornance 165gr & 180gr GMX
    Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubond CT

I'd be going for bone, low shoulder shot that will drive a well constructed bullet right into the boilerroom
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Hornady Superformance GMX all the way, can't say enough good about it.

I'm very happy for you, hope you do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I'm going to use 130 Interbonds in my 270. Worked last time.
    I normally run SST's, but for Elk or Grizzly i switch to interbonds

OP, I'd use CL too if that's what you always use.

For 30.06 speeds if you handload you'd be hard pressed to find a better bullet than 200 grain Accubonds.

Don't worry so much about the gun/caliber. They all kill. Best tip I can offer is putting in the time. Book at least a week off work or try to hunt every weekend of the season. Cover lots of ground at first using boots, ATV or truck and then concentrate where the sign is. Make sure you have salt for prepping your hide. Watch a few bear skinning videos. If you have a good partner, take him/her. If not, go alone. I am at my best while alone. Most of all, have fun and take lots of pics. Spring in the mountains is awesome!!

I too got my first grizz draw this year and am following this discussion for any tips. I plan to use either 168/180 gr Nosler Accubonds in my 30.06. I have hunted black bears but have a lot to learn for this year's hunt...

I'm no expert but have shot one grizz. I shot a 338WM with 210 TSX in the shoulder. Dropped on the spot at about 220 yards. I'm an advocate of taking out an off-side shoulder if possible or the angle presents itself.

Any good TSX, GMX, NP, GS, etc or other heavily constructed bullet that can crush bone and get penetration is what I'd use in the 30-06.

Keep shooting regardless. Yes, you'll ruin some meat. A few shots will ruin meat, but you'll have a heck of a lot more meat if you kill the bear and anchor him than you'd ever have if he gets into the bush and you cant find him for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Keep shooting regardless. Yes, you'll ruin some meat. A few shots will ruin meat, but you'll have a heck of a lot more meat if you kill the bear and anchor him than you'd ever have if he gets into the bush and you cant find him for a day or two.
    yupp, shoot til it quits moving. No golfer shots
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hmmm much easier to fix a one inch hole in his hide. .than yours...lol
    Srupp