Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thread

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

^^^lol thanks....

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    A good bonded bullet (TSX) and 180 grains is lots for a 30-06.

Personally a fan of the shoulder shot.
    I.guess.I.might.have.to.pick.up.a.box.of.expensive .ammo.then...darn,I.have.lots.of.Core.lokt...

I just got first grizz draw.. wondering which bullet would be better in 7mm RM.
    150 gr TSX @ approx 3050 fps
    175 partition @ approx 2900 fps
    (need to chrono loads to get true #s)

I'm leaning towards TSX for bone smashing ability, for anchoring GBs, and avoiding a terrifying rhubarb search. Feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I.guess.I.might.have.to.pick.up.a.box.of.expensive .ammo.then...darn,I.have.lots.of.Core.lokt...
    180g TTSX will only run you 60~, not that much for a super effective bullet. My 30-06 goes nuts for 168g, but the 180g works just as well.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Shoot what you're comfortable shooting, seen more than one grizzly bear killed with one clean shot from 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr fusion ammo. It's more about shot placement and what you're comfortable shooting in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    Shoot what you're comfortable shooting, seen more than one grizzly bear killed with one clean shot from 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr fusion ammo. It's more about shot placement and what you're comfortable shooting in my opinion.
    Hey Scuba, did you get a draw? Met you bison hunting this year...pm if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Give your barrel a really good cleaning before switching over to a solid copper bullet.

I picked up some Wipe Out so swing over if you like.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

While I'm a huge TSX/TTSX fan, a 180gr core-loc at '06 speeds is not likely going to nuke, even smacking a near side shoulder. You could buy new ammo, but you'd hardly be "irresponsible" for toting the CL' s.

Hmm like the great information..River Otter..

Imo...
    TSX
    shoulder shot
    Dark 30 am
    If interested send ph number via PM I will call you on my dime.
    Way too much information over 30 years guiding and chasing these beasts..including this coming spring.
    Pen paper questions..
    How to judge grizzlies, size, sex, shooting..ensuring bear is dead.dealing with gall bladder issues..legalities..hide care transport..etcetcetc.
    Cheers Congradulations
    Steven Rupp

The Old Man shot a significant number of Grizzlies with 180gr Winchester white box factory loads. He always shot the same thing through his old custom built 300 win mag, thousands of rounds through that rifle.

He always broke a shoulder or shoulders if the shot presented, and he was always a proponent of breaking Grizzlies down with the first poke.

Have read before that when shot most animals take 10 seconds to die, baring it being a brain poke, it's what they do with those ten seconds that is important. What would you prefer your lung shot bear to do? Run as hard as he can into the devils club? Or fight and flop his way across the slide with broken wheels?