Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thread

Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thread

I thought since the results of the draw have just come out, griz noobs like myself and others can ask the more experienced griz hunters like Srupp questions on this one thread..

So I'll start: I shoot a Rem. 700 .30-06 that has been a very reliable, accurate gun...I shoot sub MOA with Remington Core lokt factory ammo, I shoot 165 gr. and 180 gr. bullets, I have not had any issue thus far taking black bears and deer with the core-lokt ammo..BUT, I know a griz is a bigger, much tougher animal, and the Core-lokt ammo is cheaper, so not exactly top quality ammo...should I go with what my gun shoots well, or try a higher quality, possibly heavier? bullet? Now shot placement, I have been told that it's good for a first shot on griz to take out their front shoulder(s), my problem with this is I'm taking out good quality meat - should I just try and go with a regular double-lung shot?? Thanks for any info all...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

Early mornings, while usually less productive for blacks, are worthwhile for grizzlies. Obviously first green up areas/south slopes are best early spots.

While losing meat to blood shot is not ideal, it ranks a distant second to anchoring quickly and not having to bail into the rhubarb following blood.

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

Well, I will take a stab at answering, understanding that others may have different opinions. I have shot two grizz, and been along for two others with friends, so, have some experience. First, I would say the .30-06 is a great gun for grizz, it will kill them dead, but I would not try to take out the near-side front shoulder with this gun. The front shoulder on a Grizzly is a massive bone, and so I would tuck it in behind that shoulder and take out the lungs. Even better, if you have lots of time and are watching him feed, wait until broadside and he stretches that near-side front leg forward, then tuck it in there! That way you will likely get the heart as well. But hitting the near-side front shoulder with the .30-06 might be problematic, although it does depend on how far you are away. A better strategy would be to try to take out the heart - lung area, and hit the far-side shoulder if possible. Again, all depends on circumstances. Another tip, the heart is amazingly low in the chest, the lungs are more typical. The Core-Lokt bullets have always been great to me, it is what I used to use before I started hand-loading. I would use the heavier 180 though. Now about your comment about meat - I would counsel to forget about it. Grizzly's are carrion eaters when they get the chance, and so often (not always) their meat is tainted. There is a reason that BC regs do not compel you to take the meat out of a grizz! You should get a tremendous bear-skin rug though, and memories to last a lifetime! Good hunting!

I don't know about eating one but if they taste anything like they smell no thanks. I would talk to your taxidermist and find out how he would like it skinned. Leave the paws and head on?

I'd suggest that your rifle is very capable but be aware of where the bear is when you drop the hammer on it. It is very very unnerving going into the rubarb after it when you can barely see your nose because of the willows and you can hear it clicking its teeth. (This is a no bs story).

I dont know the area your hunting but I find pipeline row generally green up quicker in the spring. It would be a good place to start looking.

Good luck and enjoy the whole experience.

Harry- congrats buddy. If I were you i'd switch to a 180 nosler partition. By the way where did you get drawn?

I have eaten grizz, would do so again. Depending on if the animal/meat smells ok.

Thanks all, all seems like great advice...

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Harry- congrats buddy. If I were you i'd switch to a 180 nosler partition. By the way where did you get drawn?
    thanks buddy....in region 3-35/3-36....hunted black bear there last year, nice country, and I know it a bit..

A good bonded bullet (TSX) and 180 grains is lots for a 30-06.

Personally a fan of the shoulder shot.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    thanks buddy....in region 3-35/3-36....hunted black bear there last year, nice country, and I know it a bit..
    Right on, not too far from home! Hope you nail one...and then shoot one