Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thread

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

so I was lucky this spring, and won a grizzly tag. I would hunt a grizz with 180gr bullets from your 06. I myself will be using my 375H&H with 300 gr accubonds. I plan on a shoulder shot if it is presented to me, and I do not plan on any shots over 150yrds. If I can't get closer, the bear will live. I switched to premium bullets quite a while ago, and have shot all kinds of critters with TSX,TTSX, Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, A Frames, Swift Sciroccos, as well as Cup core bullets! I like the premium stuff the best. I wouldn't worry too much about blood shot meat, a grizz will provide you with more meat than you will care to haul out, along with the head and hide, off the avalanche chute! Hunting a top predator means taking quality high percentage shots, not much room for error, so don't get caught up in the excitement and make a marginal shot! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Re: Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thr

I am also interested in hide preparation. I would rather leave the head and paws on to avoid screwing up my rug, does this lessen my window of time to get it to the taxi? In guessing so since salt can't be applied to the face. How long before the hide starts to turn? 12 hours, 24, 48? My biggest concern at this point (besides a mauling) is taking a book bear and wrecking the hide somehow and wasting the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Harry- congrats buddy. If I were you i'd switch to a 180 nosler partition. By the way where did you get drawn?
    This is great advice.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

I was also lucky enough to draw my first grizz tag. 7-02 is some tough country but looking forward to the adventure. working on a new load, 180gr Barnes TTSX .308 is this going to be enough? I have used similar for all my black bear and mulley's

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Harry, if you want to stick with Remington factory ammo, you can get some Hypersonic with 180 grain CoreLokt Ultra Bonded bullets.

You'll have to sight in again, but in my experience, these are great, durable bullets.

Almost 300 ft/lbs more energy than a standard 180 grain CoreLokt.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition...c-rifle-bonded
    Thanks, I'll probably take Srupp's advice, and go with TSX.....

Normally a good idea to take Srupp's advice....just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by wsetter View Post
    working on a new load, 180gr Barnes TTSX .308 is this going to be enough? I have used similar for all my black bear and mulley's
    It will work fine, try to get in to 100 yards and make your first shot count. If I had to use a 308 Win for grizzly I would probably look at the Nosler 180gr Partition or Accubond. Bit more splash on a lung shot than a lower velocity Barnes, and they both will penetrate deep
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I'm interested to hear what dates you guys find to be the best for spring grizz hunting. I know it varies in each region but I'm mostly interested in the caribou. What seems to be the best 2 week time frame and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Golfer shots?
    Admiring the shot and waiting to see the outcome, totally unprepared for a follow-up
    May be okay on the links, but no place in hunting
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hunt the rut lots of action, the odd one won't be rubbed. Don't over look lung shots, it's not going too die some where you can't retrieve it like a goat.. anchoring isn't as important as shot placement. Nothing beats a well placed shot, I prefer quartering away, more vitals and with a rifle you can also poke the shoulder. Biggest thing is too give it time after the shot. It will still be there if you have too leave it until morning. Good luck
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting