Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Leh is out

Re: Leh is out

We will be in 6-29 as well, my son drew sheep, then we will see for fall grizz. Lucky bugger has drawn cow moose, 2 doe tags, and now sheep in the last 4 years. 2 weeks around the tetsahenini is pretty hard to beat. good luck with your hunt Butcher.
    Last edited by bloody bellies; 02-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    We will be in 6-29 as well, my son drew sheep, then we will see for fall grizz. Lucky bugger has drawn cow moose, 2 doe tags, and now sheep in the last 4 years. 2 weeks around the tetsahenini is pretty hard to beat. good luck with your hunt Butcher.
    629 along the northern boundary..highest concentration of grizzlies in BC..Blanchard west...
    Highest concentration of dalls in BC..RESIDENT SHEEP...
    Congrads
    Srupp

Drew grizz in 4:19, prepairing for a rough hunt!

Anyone get their paper copy in the mail yet?Still waiting.

7-50 spring grizz! Good luck to all!! Should be a great year

4-19 is rugged, i love it
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_overlord View Post
    Just checking out 3-42 and 3-37 a bit more on google earth... Tum Tum river valley from Tum Tum lake to Adams is about 67km long, and 6km wide.. roughly. Granted there are only a few main access points, but we should be able to sneak away from the crowds from time to time I hope. LOL. There were 20 tentative authorizations.. so might be a few hunters around, as well a black bear chasers, but probably won't be like Tunkwa in October.

The successful status of my Grizzly LEH is so far unchanged....

Got to wonder about the management strategy being used though. After carefully reviewing the LEH allocation projections, I applied for an LEH that showed 20 authorizations and a success ratio of 2.5:1... pretty high odds. So, I was not too surprised when I was successful.

This week, I decided to review the Big Game Harvest statistics ('76 - '13) and discovered that there has never been a single Grizzly bear kill reported between 2010 and 2013 in these WMU's ( both 3-37 and 3-42)... in fact the only Grizzlies taken here at all were 2 back in 2003... 2 by resident hunters... and another 2 by Non Resident hunters - one in 1992 and one in 2005.

So it seems to me to be a bit odd that the wildlife managers are steering would be Grizzly hunters into an area of very, very low productivity. Or is it just very very high difficulty? Is this to take us out of the game? Promote the agenda of the anti hunters? Just a ploy to sell 20 more species licenses?

If there are truly that few grizzlies in this wmu, why not just pull these units out of the draw?

Seems to me that the harvest stats are more important than the allocation projections when determining where to apply... Are there data available for 2014 - present harvest?

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    The successful status of my Grizzly LEH is so far unchanged....

Got to wonder about the management strategy being used though. After carefully reviewing the LEH allocation projections, I applied for an LEH that showed 20 authorizations and a success ratio of 2.5:1... pretty high odds. So, I was not too surprised when I was successful.

This week, I decided to review the Big Game Harvest statistics ('76 - '13) and discovered that there has never been a single Grizzly bear kill reported between 2010 and 2013 in these WMU's ( both 3-37 and 3-42)... in fact the only Grizzlies taken here at all were 2 back in 2003... 2 by resident hunters... and another 2 by Non Resident hunters - one in 1992 and one in 2005.

So it seems to me to be a bit odd that the wildlife managers are steering would be Grizzly hunters into an area of very, very low productivity. Or is it just very very high difficulty? Is this to take us out of the game? Promote the agenda of the anti hunters? Just a ploy to sell 20 more species licenses?

If there are truly that few grizzlies in this wmu, why not just pull these units out of the draw?

Seems to me that the harvest stats are more important than the allocation projections when determining where to apply... Are there data available for 2014 - present harvest?
    The number of tags issued is not the number of bears they want killed but the number of hunters needed to take out the number of bears in a given unit. So for example in Unit A, the ministry knows that they can sustain a harvest of two bears. Based on historical data they know that 30% of the hunters that get drawn don't even go buy a grizz tag or even attempt a hunt for what ever reason. Historically they also know that 60% of the guys will be unsuccessful. So they will crunch the numbers and figure they have to release 10 or so tags to hopefully get two bears killed.

That is why the anti's who apply and get LEH's don't actually save the bears. The Ministry has their agenda of how many bears should be killed. If all the tags go to anti's for a few years and no bears are killed, the ministry ups the tags until the bears are killed.

Conversely it can come back and bite the ministry in ass. Say they release 10 tags to hopefully get 2 bears killed. Well you get a bunch of very keen and dedicated hunters that all get LEH'S and you throw in a early spring which opens up a few more roads and slides. Now you see 5 bears killed where the ministry only wanted to see two killed. After that you will see the number of tags in that unit dropped the next year. They may only release 5 tags to see 1 bear killed as two many were killed the year before.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Lucky enough to draw 7-02 Grizz!