Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer in Western North America

Re: Deer in Western North America

North America Mule Deer Conservation Plan

https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/NA_mule_deer_plan.pdf
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Thanks Goat guy, this will give all concerned readers something to absorb.

I was wondering if the license numbers of the 70s-90s being higher than our present numbers . Good or bad?
    If we factor Habitat Loss, Large increases in Access, and High Predation, should Hunting Opportunity be reviewed?
    Could it be more of a factor than the formulas add up to. ( Game Populations Vs Hunter Harvest)
    Not that any studies have been done, but could we be driving game out of traditional zones and creating competition leading us to believe that we need to control the imports. ( Mule Deer vs White Tail)

With the declining harvest and increased hunters numbers and opportunity I think the warning bells are going off everywhere and that is why your seeing concerned groups popping up everywhere

I was wondering if the license numbers of the 70s-90s being higher than our present numbers . Good or bad?
    If we factor Habitat Loss, Large increases in Access, and High Predation, should Hunting Opportunity be reviewed?
    Could it be more of a factor than the formulas add up to. ( Game Populations Vs Hunter Harvest)
    Not that any studies have been done, but could we be driving game out of traditional zones and creating competition leading us to believe that we need to control the imports. ( Mule Deer vs White Tail)

With the declining harvest and increased hunters numbers and opportunity I think the warning bells are going off everywhere and that is why your seeing concerned groups popping up everywhere

bownut. Ungulates are a crop to be harvested. You do not get more grain by not cutting it. The harvest is dependant on environmental conditions,soil quality etc. To increase crop you amend soils, irrigate, fertilize . As well you rotate,give the soil a rest. You also have to deal with pests to protect the crop. Then reapeat it all again.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    bownut. Ungulates are a crop to be harvested. You do not get more grain by not cutting it. The harvest is dependant on environmental conditions,soil quality etc. To increase crop you amend soils, irrigate, fertilize . As well you rotate,give the soil a rest. You also have to deal with pests to protect the crop. Then reapeat it all again.
    Bad analogy IMO , crops can be wiped out by Mother nature and there is nothing we can do about it. With wildlife , higher populations allow for "bad" winters or other natural selection occurrence's .

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post

Read what the population drivers are out of those links, compare to what we are doing in BC. Look at what they are managing for sex ratios compared to what we have in BC.

Your questions will answer themselves.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Bad analogy IMO , crops can be wiped out by Mother nature and there is nothing we can do about it. With wildlife , higher populations allow for "bad" winters or other natural selection occurrence's .
    I don't even know what you are trying to say. Higher populations of wildlife do not allow for bad winters at all..in fact makes things worse..
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post

Will do thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Read what the population drivers are out of those links, compare to what we are doing in BC. Look at what they are managing for sex ratios compared to what we have in BC.

Your questions will answer themselves.

Will do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    I don't even know what you are trying to say. Higher populations of wildlife do not allow for bad winters at all..in fact makes things worse..
    Horshur is 100% correct.

The massive die off in the 97 winter was due to game being over carrying capacity.

When there is a 40% shortfall in food, it does not mean 40% of animals die. It means all animals go 40% short of food and we get 75% die offs like we saw in 97.

Driving up the number of animals on winter range absolutely exacerbates the situation, and results in much higher winter death rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !