Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axe recommendations

Re: Axe recommendations

I have two Fiskars,large splitting maul and a shorter one for in the truck or sxs. They are very light and razor sharp! Highly recommend one you won't be disappointed.

Fiskar gets my vote for the money as well. Side note the best axe I have ever used was found on an old railway spur in the boundary, stopped on the side of 100 year old rail grade to mark my scent while scouting, zipped up and stepped on a rock that slid out onto grade, bent down and found a double edged True Temper Kelly Ironworks head engraved with "Great Northern Railway", took it home and cleaned/sharpened/refitted custom handle and have used ever since. This axe can hold and edge like I've never seen, want to do a custom etching/stain on a new handle and wall hang but it still works so well it would be a shame to retire.

Cutting and spitting are two different jobs and it's hard to find an axe that is perfect for both. When I guided horse back hunts my axe was an Estwing. Steel axe that you never have to worry about breaking a handle in the middle of the season in the middle of no where. I still have, and use mine after about 30 years. Arvika makes a great splitting axe.

if getting a wooden handle pick a good one..look for tighter straight grain no discolouration from rot... no knots....here is a link to how to make one yourself if you like...
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/1...le-from-a-log/

Don't waste your time or money on anything other than Fiskars. Brought to you by the same country that brings the tikka and sako, and Simo Hayha.

Husqvarna generally sells their forest axe for a good deal at the Outdoors Show in Abbotsford in March. Doesn't help you on the Island, but for anyone else with the same question, they are worth it (re-badged Hultafors).
    There are many good axes to choose from here: http://www.bushcraftcanada.com/produ...cfm?category=8

Love my Hulfators...

1899 Guest

Happy with my Wetterlings. Also have Fiskars, which are ok, but not in the same category as Wetterlings (or Gränsfors). The steel, finish and overall craftsmanship are top notch - mind you the price is higher, but IMO worth it if you can swing it (no pun intended).

1899 Guest

Have a look:

GB there about $150 at Lee Valley. So what if they cost 4 x more than a Fiskars(plastic axe), there a joy to use and the company employs talented craftsmen to produce an absolutely beautiful product. In the scheme of things $150 is peanuts for a handcrafted piece of art that will last you a lifetime with proper care. Compared to most things we as hunters/shooters spend money on in the pursuit of our sport an axe is small potatoes so why not buy the best?
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke