Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Axe recommendations

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Axe recommendations

eastwing campers axe. Nice narrow shoulder, solid steel handle, holds a decent edge. I have one for around camp/in pickup, and I have a small wetterlings for in my day pack. Nice combo. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I have a gransfors and I it works awesome. comes razor sharp from factory. Lee Valley sells them and a few other quality axes and they are on VI. ive also heard good things about wetterlings and Husqvarna.

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    eastwing campers axe. Nice narrow shoulder, solid steel handle, holds a decent edge. I have one for around camp/in pickup, and I have a small wetterlings for in my day pack. Nice combo. Moosin
    I have an Eastwing and while it looks good it is not, imo, a good all around axe. The narrow shoulder makes it very poor for spitting wood. It also has a funny balance and I find that it deflects very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    You need a stiff handle for a Trojan! ��

I've picked up good Swedish axe heads from garage sales over the years and put good straight grain hickory handles on them to last a lifetime as long as your buddy doesn't wreck the handle on you.
    Built an aluminum handle in 01', still going strong on the Trojan head...
    Its seen more wood than Jenna Jameson HA
    Last edited by .264winmag; 02-18-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I have a Gransfors small forest axe and a Fiskars splitting axe. They serve different purposes. The GF is razor sharp and good for making kindling, cutting branches for a blind and even skinning, but due to the narrow blade not very good for splitting. Also; the sharp edge is quickly destroyed if you hit the ground. This is where the Fiskars shines; great for splitting logs and other rough work. I was sceptical about them first, but once you have used them you realize that they are well designed.

Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    GB there about $150 at Lee Valley. So what if they cost 4 x more than a Fiskars(plastic axe), there a joy to use and the company employs talented craftsmen to produce an absolutely beautiful product. In the scheme of things $150 is peanuts for a handcrafted piece of art that will last you a lifetime with proper care. Compared to most things we as hunters/shooters spend money on in the pursuit of our sport an axe is small potatoes so why not buy the best?
    This. Precisely.

Depends on your personal style. If you use a Havalon knife, buy a Fiskars. If you use a quality knife that requires care and sharpening, buy a Gransfors or at least a Husqvarna.

I have a couple Gransfors and they both came sharp enough to pop the hairs off my arm. I have a couple Husqvarnas too, and they didn't come as sharp but they can be sharpened really sharp.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I have a Sandvik that's half way between hatchet and a felling axe ,it's as near perfect as you will find. Though I have a good Swedish felling axe, I use a little German chainsaw . I bought the Sandvik at a thrift store. For splitting wood, a maul works better. Just get one with a axe handle instead of a sledge handle.