Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet boat for hunting

Jet boat for hunting

Here are some pics of my DIY jet boat. I built it last year and it is usable, but needs some final finishing like, deck paint, anchor winch, fold down bimini top, second deep cycle battery for my electric outboard and back-up, 1/2" UHMW bottom, headlights and other minor odds and ends.
    The purpose of this boat is shallow river and/or lake use for sheep, goat, elk....and whatever happens to be the itch that needs scratching at the time. It weighs 1600 lbs all in, except for fuel and measures 19' long by 76" wide. It has a 137hp 3cyl 2-stroke motor and matching pump from a Polaris 785 pro seadoo. Right now, it drafts so shallow that the pump outlet is just barely covered, about 8" or so. It gets on plane in about 2-3 boat lengths and hits 35mph/56kph max speed, comfortable cruise at 25mph/40kph. The fuel tank is in the floor and has a capacity of 85GAL/321L.

I had it out a handfull of times last summer and intended to take it up north hunting for 2 weeks, but ditched out at the last minute due to insuficient testing and time on the water. I still don't know how much fuel it burns and how far the tank will take me. Also fuel burn rates increase rapidly with added weight. I need to do some long hauls with simulated payload.

It is suposed to take 2 guys deep into the wilds of our North with enough supplies to last 10-12days and come back with (idealy) 2 sheep or similar.

I would like some feedback from anybody with real world experience in hunting via jetboat to help me make some of the final decissions or just advice in general.

"I prefer the pori to the imprisonment of streets, the twinkling stars to lamps, the sigh of the primeval forest to the tramp of thousands of human feet."................James Sutherland

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jet boat for hunting

nice looking sled you have there, looks like you could get a quad up front!

Yup, a quad fits no problem with the front seat out. I have ramps ready to go too.
    "I prefer the pori to the imprisonment of streets, the twinkling stars to lamps, the sigh of the primeval forest to the tramp of thousands of human feet."................James Sutherland

Very cool! You must know what your doing, what do you have tied up in it?

very, very interesting. nicely done. the fabricating looks excellent.

i'm considering an alaska series inflatable jet like Gattho showed in his upper tuchodi thread last fall. Much smaller and portable but not nearly as much room for gear.

i have a bunch of questions about running a jet in rivers so i'll be watching this thread carefully.

where have you tested it?

Nothing tied up in it, that was my dock rope. I only had it at Alouette Lake 4-5 times. About an hour or two each time. Tons of fun, but loud as hell. I think I will be lining the underneath of the floor with closed cell foam. Positive floatation and sound deadening.

My initial design was to be 14', then I wanted a bit more room, so I thought 16' is better, then the way the sheat of aluminum worked out I could do 17'. In the end, with the nose extension and swim grid it became 19' overall, oh well.

I think he meant cost

looks good!
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Tied up = $$

Looks great, really great,how does it handle? Good maneuverability?

Well, costwise, I think the last time I crunched everything, the tally was around $5000. That includes a full aluminum trailer with brakes, which you don't see in these pictures. I think by the time I'll be happy with it it will be $6000. Still a lot cheaper than anything I could find used that was comparable. Never mind the 300 or so hours I got into it so far, but who's counting .