Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Backpacking stoves

Re: Backpacking stoves

How do you guys with canisters know how much fuel you have left?

Been with a few hikers who ran out of fuel, while my white gas stove (which I re-fueled pre trip) was still rock'n.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post
    How do you guys with canisters know how much fuel you have left?

Been with a few hikers who ran out of fuel, while my white gas stove (which I re-fueled pre trip) was still rock'n.
    Count how many boils you get out of canister. Not perfect as environmental conditions and elevation etc impacts the amount of fuel needed for each boil.

Or you can weigh them. Again not exact by any means. But gives you an idea.

Then err on the side of caution. A reasonable buffer. Save your almost empty canisters for day hunts or a single night trip where if you were to run out it isn't the end of the world.

I'm going to guess canisters are like food for many. Always come home with way more than you thought you'd need.

I know I have come home before and thought to myself "Did I think I'd find a BBQ out there and be cooking burgers?"

Gotten better about it as I care more about my pack weight.

Sometimes you have to tell the "good idea fairy" to F off. Cause it is a terrible idea.

Check out the podcast on the Gritty Bowman , sorry I don't remember the episode number.
    Seems that the jet boil warranty is worthless vs. How msr backs their stoves.
    I run a msr dragonfly it's a little heavy as stoves go but when there is more than one person on the trip you can share the load.
    Duck tape can fix everything but stupid